Author Topic: Interest in Intarsia  (Read 17066 times)

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Interest in Intarsia
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »
Of the 1024 members of this SSW Community how many have an interest in Intarsias?

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Interest in Intarsia
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »
Count me in!  I do segmentation (does that count as Intarsia) but also want to do Intarsia. 

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:32 pm »
Me too, Love to learn... Just don't know if I have the patience...
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »
I have done many Intarsia pieces. For me it does not take any more patience than fretwork or portraits
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:19:34 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Rightarm

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:06 pm »
    I have a Screaming Eagle pattern that I got from Wildwood Designs. I've been putting it off, [trying to gather the wood I need]. I love to get started on it this summer sometime. Dave. 8)

Becky

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »
I have at least a potential interest but not much knowledge.  I spent a while on youtube the other night to see if I could find anybody doing intarsia videos but didn't have much luck.  Reading about it is one thing but a video would be great for understanding what all is involved.

Are you asking because you are thinking of offering instruction or making some videos?  Because I would love to at least give it a try.  :)

daneklund

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:21:21 am »
I primarily do intarsia, but occasionally will do some fretwork.  If you even have a slight interest in intarsia, please ask your questions and someone will answer them.  Be heading back to TN for another class with JGR in two weeks.  If we can't answer it here, I will ask her and post a solution.

daneklund

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:28:25 am »
Becky - go up to the JGR site  (www.intarsia.com) and download the free whale pattern.  There are 8 pages of instructions with it.  It only has 7 pieces.  Start with some softwood, depending where you live will sort of determine what you can get, but maybe some red cedar.  It is easy to cut, and has lots of color variation.  You will need at least 3 copies of the pattern so you can separate all the pattern parts before you fasten the pattern to the wood.  Just for variation, use a darker wood for the top of the whale and a lighter wood for the underside.  Students really like that.

Offline newtoscroll

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 06:06:31 am »
That's a great idea.  I went to the site and downloaded the instructions and copies of the whale.  I will give it a try as the instructions seem quite comprehensive and easy to follow.  I too would like to get to Tn and take a beginner class and make a duck decoy.  But, first I will give this a try and if it works out it could be a new area of fun. 
Thanks again for the info.

tgaspard

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:47:36 am »
Count me in!!! I am interested!!!

Tonya

rwb

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:27 am »
me to tried it would love to learn it

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:21:30 pm »
Newtoscroll, JGR, www.intarsia.com has a couple of "Duck" patterns you may want to try: #I85 is a "Pup With Decoy" that you could easily leave off the Lab Pup if you just wanted the Decoy Portion; It is a Beginner/Intermediate Pattern and #I24 is a "Duck" Pattern which is a Intermediate Pattern.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:48 pm »
Count me in also. I have been putting it of, but would love to learn more about it. The more intarsia I see the more I would like to try it. My problem is getting different wood. But maybe I can just stain the different pieces in different colours.
David

Dragonlord85

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »
I am very interested in intarsia. I do segmentation but would like to move to intarsia.

redneck_inc

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 06:08:54 pm »
i am diying to to get started in intarsia just keeps geting put off

SMF

Teknoromi