Author Topic: Interest in Intarsia  (Read 17091 times)

Becky

Re: Interest in Intarsia
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 11:53:09 pm »
I'll put the whale on my to-do list.  My to-do list is going to keep me busy for a long time!

Wandascroller

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 01:56:17 am »
I am also interested in Intarsia. I wish I could get more time in the shed!

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 11:54:43 am »
I am very interested, and have started on soem of the designs by KAthy Wise in her book "Intarsia Woodworking For Beginners".  Some one suggested doing a hands on video showing technic,etc.  I also have an interest in carving and have been watching a series of videos on Youtube.  Seeing it being done is for me always easier to understand. 

Pieter

uddeholm

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 12:55:31 pm »
very keen to learn. have had a go and found it very dificult.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:27 am »
I am always saying that I want to do Intarsia but always have too many others things I want to get done  first.  Maybe one day.........

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Becky

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »
I moved up on the whale because it got my curiousity going.  Ouch.  I went very slow and really concentrated on staying on the lines but I don't think my skill level is quite up to intarsia yet.  I haven't even been scrolling for 6 months yet.  I'm getting a lot better on staying on the lines but I am clearly not as good as I need to be yet.

I am thinking though that maybe I could do some segmentation while I practice and improve my aim.  Being made out of a single piece of wood, it's a lot more forgiving.  I did a web search but I am not finding a good source for segmentation patterns.  Can someone recommend one or more?

Apologies if this amounts to a hijacking of the original thread but it was the original thread that even got me thinking this way!

daneklund

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:35 am »
Hi Becky

This is a good thread to answer your questions about either process.  There is a good book with patterns for segmentation.  It is "Scroll Saw Segmentation - Patterns, Projects, & Techniques"  by Patrick Speilman.  It was from Sterling Publishing Co., New York  - A Sterling/Chapelle Book.  It was copyright 2000.  email Chapelle@ChapelleLtd.com.  www.chapelleltd.com/library/
They still have the book listed.  Good Luck.

Maybe someone else can chime in with more information for you.  Cheers. Dan

daneklund

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 01:13:29 am »
One thing that can be emphasized a little and it was taught by Jerry Booher at the JRG classes is that when you first take your pattern and cut out the paper pieces, take a highlighter and mark along the edge of the pattern pieces where it does not contact other wood pieces.  So for the whale, you would highlight from the nose to the top fin and the outside of the fin plus the back of the tail up to where it joins the body and then along the belly up to the side fin and then some in front of the fin to the mouth.  The reason you do this, is that you don't have to be quite so critical to stay on the line.  You can sand out any blemishes afterwards.  The lines you did not mark are critical so you must concentrate a little more to get accurate cuts so your pieces fit.  Cheers.

cloetpatrick

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 02:32:06 am »
 :) Long ago, I was only marquetry, now I no longer do that from time to time when they ask.

cornishpisky

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 10:13:40 am »
Becky, if you want do some "cutsey" segmentation you could try looking in kids coloring books, you can find some really nice patterns that look great when cut and painted, i've done quite a few in the past, some very easy and some quite detailed, it's worth a look!

Ian

ljfrompa

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 09:03:17 am »
some day i'll get time enough to try intarsia...segmentation is loads faster though....

i just recently did a segmentation...got the pattern from a site with free stained glass patterns...do a search on 'free stained glass patterns'...loads available and they're great for segmentation!

this was my 2nd attempt at a segmentation...the picture is approx. 8x10 and was cut from 1/4" thick poplar.
i cut it all apart, ran my dremel w/ sanding attachment over the edges, painted with milkpaint and then glued it down on a piece of foamcore...sprayed w/ 'clear'.

this is a picture after i finished painting it, before gluing it together....

Offline Caribbean Scroller

• View Profile
    • http://www.woodartz.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
Of all the different scroll saw techniques there are Intarsia is #1 for me ,i would not have it any other way.

Becky

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12:15 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have ordered that book.  I went through a bunch of coloring book pages via yahoo and google image searches but didn't really find anything that lit my fire.  I'd have never thought of stained glass in a million years but it's a great idea.  I'll look into that.  Thanks for the tip.   :)

bukshy

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »
Count me in. I have always wanted to try intarsia, but have been too chicken.

daneklund

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »
Hi Bukshy - ask any question and someo0ne will respond.  Jump on in.

SMF

Teknoromi