Author Topic: Washed effect with acrylics....  (Read 1810 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Washed effect with acrylics....
« on: June 19, 2010, 06:19:57 pm »
I have a couple of puzzles done that I want to paint with acrylics.

However, I want to do a wash effect.

How thin do I dilute the acrylic paints with water?
Do you wipe it on with a paper towel or rag?
What kind of container do you use for thinning?

I'll be using several different colors on one project so I need something economical for mixing.

Can you save the left overs?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Becky

Re: Washed effect with acrylics....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »
It depends on the look you want.  I would suggest that you start with about 50-50 and try it on some scrap of the same type wood as your project.  That'll probably be too much paint and you'll want to thin it some more for a real wash-effect.  Usually a wash is more (sometimes considerably more) water than paint.

I don't know how big your project is or how much paint you will be using.  I have a small plastic palatte that is divided into several sections.  I squirt a blob of paint into a section and then just pour in some water.  I mix it with a paintbrush.  I paint the wash on with the brush but always be sure to rinse it out first in case there are any blobs of paint stuck in there.  I don't usually do anything huge so don't mix a lot of paint.  Therefore I don't feel bad about washing the unused part down the drain.

If your project is a big one and you need a lot of wash, I would experiment with the paint to water ratio as described above and then I'd probably just use a jar that is big enough to hold however much I need.  The you could just put the lid back on the jar to store it (after wiping the rim so you don't paint the lid to the jar).  I imagine it would keep for a reasonable length of time though you'd need to mix/shake it before using it again.

Hope that helps.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:45:48 pm »
Storing the paint in a Mason jar should work. I have done it with Latex paints that I left customers for touch-up.
One suggestion would be after the jar rim is good and clean wipe it with a tiny bit of Vaseline and then store the jar with the lid DOWN.
That helps keep out transient air and creates less 'skimming' of the paint.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 11:06:22 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Your thoughts are appreciated and helpful.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Terry Jackson

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:26:29 am »
I use the small plastic cups with lids.  See them in the fast food joints, they come in packs of 16 for a couple bucks.  Can keep paint for a day or two, but only mix maybe 1/8 oz at a time to do a complete piece.  The acrylic comes in small plastic bottles with a flip-top so getting small quantities is easy.  "Ceramacote", so an art or ceramic supply.  Dilute 2 water, 1 paint, apply with brush and immediately wipe with damp lint-free rag.  If it is too lite, repeat.  Works for me on small pieces as in for a puzzle or segmentation and such.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:07:35 am »
Terry,
Thanks for the reply.
Mike

SMF

Teknoromi