Author Topic: Interest in Intarsia  (Read 17072 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Intarsia
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 12:44:42 am »
Ahhhh... I see the final product but have absolutely no idea how you do it.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Becky

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 12:55:51 am »
Thanks again, Sheila.  The tape sounds like the easiest solution (not having to drill holes or wait for a delivery).  I'll hit the Home Depot or Lowes and see what they have.  It seems better to have a tape that is hard to get loose from than one that will let the part wiggle around when I am trying to work on it.  I am already thinking to make the tape a little long and then pry - if needed - off the scrap leaving myself a tab to pull on to remove it from the piece being sanded.

If I don't like the tape I have these other ideas to fall back on too, so thanks to all of you for responding.  My learning curve is so reduced thanks to all of you.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 05:02:27 am »
Let us know, Becky.  I just started doing this a couple of months ago and I would like to know if you like it as much as me.  The other ideas are good too so there are always choices. :)  It is good to know what to tell people.

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Becky

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 11:26:41 pm »
Will do.  :)  I did run to the Home Depot today.  The didn't have the 3M brand but they had some from Gorilla so I bought that. 

I'm getting a real kick out of doing the art reproductions so I might just cut another one tomorrow and/or Sunday.  The one I will probably do has a number of little pieces so they will be a good test.

Becky

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2010, 12:33:11 am »
OK, I lied.  ;)  Apparently I don't know my large African animals.  The brand I bought was Rhino, not Gorilla.  Sorry about that.

That stuff was a bust.  It wasn't an actual tape but a sort of glue film.  Long story short, it was just way to hard to try to work with.  Went to another store, got Scotch brand which is at least made by 3M.  :)  That worked a LOT better.  

I had some very tiny pieces that it didn't hold very well but they were only about 1/2" long by 1/8" wide.  I don't think they had enough surface area to stick to anything when attacked with a Dremel tool.  Even so, just bracing them on the scrap with a little stickiness was better than nothing.  I didn't clobber my nails/flesh.  

Larger pieces (dime to penny size) stuck pretty solidly though and I was able to get them up without undue problem.  I didn't have a lot of time to play with it as I had Father's Day at dinner tonight.  Tomorrow I will try long, thin pieces with sort of odd shapes.  It looks very promising from what I've seen so far.

daneklund

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2010, 05:34:48 am »
Becky - one of the items learned at JGR's class is to use the double stick tape like you are using, but then you also double stick the side of the piece to an adjacent piece and sand them together.  This helps stabilize the smaller pieces.  Make sure that you get the thin double stick carpet tape.  The thicker tape is extremely hard to remove.  You might also try using the finger protectors mentioned in one of the earlier messages. My finger nails sometimes have these "funny" flat areas on them.  Hmmm, wonder where that is from.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2010, 11:23:41 am »
I believe that 'fingernail' malady you refer to is called "Scroller's Manicure"!

And I have the funny shaped nails to prove it!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi