Author Topic: Interest in Intarsia  (Read 17608 times)

cloetpatrick

Re: Interest in Intarsia
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 02:13:42 am »
 ;) Thank you for the videos guys  ;)

Becky

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »
Here's what all the fuss was about if you're interested.

I ended up buying a can of the sanding sealer.  It did keep the grain down but it was hard to paint on.  It was almost like trying to get the paint to balance in the right spot until it dried.  Well, it is a sealer so I guess it sealed!  I did find that if I started with a coat of less thinned paint as a base, my washes did better on top of that.  Experimentation and all, I am pretty happy with it and it is definitely nice and smooth.   :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 10:02:56 pm »
Wow Becky that is so cool! You did a wonderful job!
Dan In Southern California

Becky

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »
Thanks, dgman.  The patten was in that Creative Scrollsaw Segmentation book recommened earlier in this thread.  I didn't follow their painting of it but went online to find a pic of the actual painting and did my best to imitate it.

I cut a Van Gogh yesterday but I'll probably be all week sanding it.  Lots of little pointy protrusions on most of the pieces so I will have to be slow and careful with those.

daneklund

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 01:06:19 am »
Great Job Becky.  Cheers.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 06:15:29 am »
Nice job Becky, looks great. I like the colors.
 8)  8)  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cornishpisky

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 07:07:32 am »
That looks really nice Becky, you done a good job of that.

I've never had a problem getting the paint to stick to sanding sealer but then i like bright colors and do tend to put the paint on without thinning it too much.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:53 am »
I enjoy doing intarsia

Becky

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
Thanks, folks.  I had a brainstorm and have been using my sanding mop on the pieces of my Van Gogh.  It takes a long time (and a few search and rescue missions) but is easier on the bumps and protrusions I have in this new one.  Maybe a coarser grit would be better.

I have a Dremel and used the sanding drum attachment things on much of The Scream but also sanded away a significant section of my thumbnail and underlying skin.  What do you intarsia and segmentation folks do for sanding?  It seems like there has to be a better way, especially for the small and/or delicate pieces.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 05:57:02 am »
Every time I did a small segmentation project which contained small pieces, I would wind up with no finger nails left from sanding the small pieces with the Dremel.  They would also sometimes catch on the sanding drum and go flying across the room, leaving me to searching for them on my hands and knees for who knows how long.

Just recently, my partner started doing segmentations.  He took a scrap piece of wood and some double sided tape and stuck the small piece to the little block of wood.  He was then able to use the Dremel to his hearts (and finger's) content.  I was sitting here thinking to myself - "why didn't I think of that"?

I have recent segmentation projects with small pieces and tried this out and it works perfectly.  You need to change the tape after each piece you sand, naturally because the dust, but it is easier than grinding your fingers down and looking for small pieces.  :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

daneklund

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 07:09:06 am »
When I have done some smaller pieces, I have used the rubber finger tips available at office supply stores.  JGR is also selling some at her site - www.intarsia.com.  I have not tried those though.

Becky

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »
Ah, Sheila!  Great idea!  Thank you!  Is the double-sided tape you refer to just the double sided Scotch tape you can get at the grocery story or is it something more exotic?  I've double sided tape mentioned a lot of times but never knew if the plain stuff in the kitchen drawer would work.

I got an e-mail from Woodcraft saying they have 20-piece sets of the diamond tipped burrs on sale for $5.99.  I am thinking of getting a set of those too for places the small sanding drum won't fit.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 08:03:02 pm »
Becky, it is the carpet type of double sided tape.  I think the 3M is good, but it is really, really strong.  I find that using the strong tape can be better because it really holds the pieces into place.  However, I also use it to do stack cutting and I am quite careful to put little squares in the WASTE areas mostly, with maybe a corner going on the piece.  For the intarsia though, I definitely prefer it.  If you find it is too strong, use a small paring type knife to gently pry the piece off when done.  After sanding tiny parts until my fingers literally bled, it was one of those "duh" moments to try to use this.  I also use craft sticks (popsicle sticks) for some small pieces like hummingbird feathers.  :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »
I don't have a camera so I can't take a picture, but I made a small parts holder. It's a handle I turned on the lathe, with a very small wood screw on the end. I drill a small hole on the back of the small intarsia piece, screw it onto the the tool and sand away!
Maybe I will get my son to take a picture with his camera so I can post it here.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »
I've never done Intarsia (yet) but to hold small pieces or parts i use tweezers similar to these shown at Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Grobet-57-760-Resistant-Fiber-Tweezer/dp/B0015T22XI/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1276823014&sr=1-6

They are what I call "Normally Closed" so they hold the part without you having to squeeze the handles.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi