Author Topic: See through paint finish help?  (Read 6423 times)

billybob911

See through paint finish help?
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:09:37 pm »
I've noticed some wooden toy cars that are sold in toy shops and that are finished with a coloured paint effect that allows the wood grain to show through and has a satin finish.  I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on how I could achieve that effect?

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: See through paint finish help?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:39:48 am »
I use acrylic paints, watered down then spray with poly.

billybob911

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:46:40 pm »
thank's Julie, I'll give it a try, could you tell me what poly?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »
I have used the watered down acrylic paints also. Works pretty good. Depends on the finish you are looking for.The clear spray I use is Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic. The only thing you want to consider with toys is the age group when finishing. For little ones that chew you want it non-toxic. Also read through all the threads in Toy Makers. Some of them have discussions on that issue.  8)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:23:05 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:33:36 am »
I use dye intended for coloring cake iceing.  You can thin it in alcohol so it doesn't raise the grain and paint it on.  Any clear finish you want over top.  I used it on some of Steve's gumball machines last November and they still look new.  It is cheap and available at almost any craft store.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:54 am »
My first choice is a Minwax product calledHelmsman spar urethane.  I like it because it is indoor/outdoor (has UV protection to prevent yellowing) and the second reason is that the spray is adjustable.  If you have a hobby lobby available, try tree house studio indoor/outdoor varnish spray.  The treehouse is about half the cost and also has an adjustable spray.  The Krylon is an excellent product but has a regular spray paint nozzle.  I tend to get too heavy with it, so I prefer an adjustable nozzle.

billybob911

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »
Thanks guys, I will try out your suggestions,much appreciated.
Rob

juvy

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:56:48 am »
Be careful with the food colouring..... even if you seal it clear spray.. if a kid chews on it, the food colour will end up on faces and hands!
Watered down acrylics work for me too.... just wish they wouldn't raise the grain so bad.

As for clear spray, we don't have as many choices here as you folks in the US have. One I used a lot was Estapol, but the forever clogging up nozzles made that a very expensive spray to use. After contacting them about it they did give me some free cans, but also told me they do not fill them themselves and could not guarantee I wouldn't keep having the problem.... they went as far as telling me I might consider buying a different brand.
I've tried everything, always making sure I turn them upside down and spray until clear ( then I ran out of propellant before the can was empty) and even stored them upside down...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Juvy

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 08:05:51 am »
Juvy,  If I have a few things to spray, I will load a paint gun with a water based poly.  When I'm getting ready for a show and making several things, that's the way I do it to save time.  Just make sure you strain it before putting it in the gun.

juvy

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 05:44:33 pm »
Thanks...... I tried that with mirror tone.... two different spray guns...... cannot get it right for some reason.... drips and/or it gives me those ugly white blooming spots..... seems mirrortone doesn't like acrylic paints...... not sure. Other then that I liked that it dried lightening fast..... but the smell...... the whole neighbour hood suffered, so I had to stop using it.

Juvy

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:24:59 am »
Juvy I had the same prob. with clogging nozzles and mentioned at the paint shop and they said to make sure the can is shaken well and keep shaking as it is used, I have had no probs. since, I just wipe the spray nozzle with my finger when finished and have not had a clog up since
Jimbo

juvy

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:34:27 am »
I do shake the can...... but never wiped the nozzle.... I was told to hold the can upside down and spray until only air comes out..... so didn't think of wiping it too.

Will try that next time
thanks
Juvy

kp91

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:25:58 am »
is it a milk paint style finish?

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:35 am »
I take my nozzles off and toss em into  a jar filled with paint thinner they are always sparkling clean when I need em & never clog up on me.  I also hang onto them after the can is empty so i always have a few spares around just in case. 
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »
There is a additive that you can mix with just about any Acrylic paint at a 1:1 ratio that will do this without raising the grain.  It is called Americana Staining and Antiquing Medium.  It is made by DecoArt and you will need to seal the project afterward.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

SMF

Teknoromi