Author Topic: See through paint finish help?  (Read 6422 times)

juvy

up-date on clogged nozzels!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:28 am »
I just wanted to tell everyone ...... I did as Jimbo suggested.... instead of only shaking the cans I also just wiped over the nozzles with my finger.....
Not a single can clogged up!!!!!!! I can't believe the manufacturers don't tell you this!!!!!!! Guess they wouldn't.... lol

THANK YOU  .... that was one of the best tips ever!!!!!

Juvy

dewalt toy elf

Re: See through paint finish help?
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:34 pm »
I use Minwax water-based Polyurethane, satin or semi-gloss finish, depending on what's on sale! I color it with analine dyes, available from Lee Valley in powder form. Make a highly concentrated color agent using a small amount of boiling hot water. You want to keep it highly concentrated so that adding it to the poly does not dilute the poly any more than necessary. Start with about a pint of poly and mix in the colorant to suit, testing frequently on scraps.

Most of my stuff is made from Pine two-by-what-have you or Poplar, so the water based poly raises the grain pretty well, requiring sanding and a second coat. My second coat is with a basically "dry brush" technique, putting on just enough to barely cover the piece. The effect is quite striking on clean bright Pine and Poplar! Once dry, the Rug Rats can chew on it all day and not get red teeth!

Chachi

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:36:31 am »
Juvy I had the same prob. with clogging nozzles and mentioned at the paint shop and they said to make sure the can is shaken well and keep shaking as it is used, I have had no probs. since, I just wipe the spray nozzle with my finger when finished and have not had a clog up since
Jimbo

You also may want to take the caps off and soak them in a bowl of paint thinner that way they will always be ready for use and not clogged up.

juvy

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 01:25:57 am »
I have always taken the caps off and soaked them..... I've poked them with needles etc... nothing worked until the simple finger swipe... :)

Juvy

SMF

Teknoromi