Author Topic: It has been a tough 6 weeks  (Read 4828 times)

Offline eburk

• View Profile
It has been a tough 6 weeks
« on: March 03, 2019, 10:04:23 am »
 on January 15th my wonderful wife of 49+ years suffered a burst brain aneurysm. After 3 weeks in the ICU and 3 operations, another week in a neuro ward, four days in a Skilled Nursing Facility (aka Nursing home), another 4 days in the hospital ICU, another 4 days in the SNF, another 3 days in ICU for a 4th operation, and a day in regular ward, we are back in the SNF as of this past Friday night. Our kids have all been here at different times, and wonderful neighbors have taken care of our dog, and kept me going. I know the wife is having a terrible time with rehab, let alone all the returns to the ICU. We are in our winter digs in AZ, and have no idea if and when we will be able to return home to Alaska. This is why you have not seen me around for a while. I pray that things go well, wife starts improving, and I can get back to scrolling and turning.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: It has been a tough 6 weeks
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:25:28 am »
Hope she feels better, my prayers are with you. My uncle just went through a month long recovery from a big surgery, think it was something to do with his heart and stuff, he has had alot of heart attacks and has had issues. Hopefully she is back again soon and feeling better.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:53:52 am »
Hang in there and God will smile on you and yours.
Wish I could help in some way besides the prayers sent up on your behalf.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:08:07 am »
So sorry to hear of this challenge to you and your family. AZ has some decent care facilities in the Phoenix area if that's where you are and hopefully, things will be turning for the better soon.  It's hard to be patient when your loved ones are hurting and I'm sure you are anxious to get back to your AK home and more normal routines.  Prayers for you and yours from here in central AZ that your Mrs. will soon be on the mend.
Scrolling has its perks

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 06:39:36 pm »
Prayers for you and yours.
Being away from home and everything, don't be ashamed to check out local organizations
that can help with the finances. You have enough problems to worry about without being
concerned about anything else.
May God Bless You and Yours!
Spirithorse

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:28 am »
Thank you to everyone for your comments, prayers and thoughts.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:35:59 am »
keep us posted, hope you get home to Alaska soon

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:40 pm »
Glenda is currently in a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) and the bills are still being covered by Medicare and our Med Supp. She has been showing steady improvement, but as you can imagine, she still has a long way to go. We have made arrangements with a group home here in Surprise, Az that will take her in when the SNF (nursing home) is told by Medicare that they are no longer willing to foot the bill. I will be going to AK early in April for 2 weeks to take care of some issues with the house, and prepare to rent it out for the next year. I will be spending the summer in Arizona close to my bride of 50 years.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I will do better to keep you up dated.

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:19:31 am »
Eburk, glad to hear of your wife, Glenda's, progress.  When you two get settled in in Arizona, perhaps you might look for a woodworking club or some similar opportunity to rub up against some sawdust.  Of course, the main task for you will be to help your wife adjust to the new environments.  Best wishes from GLC in Cypress, Texas 

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:57 am »
Eburk,  life is taking on a new direction for you and you are handling it well, trust your Bride will progress in recovery. My God Mother had a burst aneurism at 67 , she passed last year at 98 although her speech was affected she went on to live a very productive and loving life with her husband until he passed a few years earlier. So I think positive steps for you and your Bride in the future, keep us posted.

Best to you, Norm from Nipawin, Saskatchewan.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 08:54:35 pm »
Thanks very much for the up-date and I am happy to hear of the improvements.
Please keep us posted when you have time and feel up to it.
Continued prayers for you and Glenda.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 06:50:50 pm »
Thank you for your comments Norm, GLC and Spirit Horse. This week finds Glenda still in the SNF, hating her physical therapy, but know she must try her best. Our daughter was here last week and that really helped us both.

Today I cleaned out her locker in the sewing room with the help of a number of her quilting friends. I also met a lady who went through the same thing as Glenda did and is back to quilting and being very productive. She has a nursing/missionary type background and will go over to see Glenda sometime this week, she is also a friend of Glenda so hopefully they will be able to communicate.

Also was told I could use the carving room all I wanted this summer - there is a new Dewalt 788 in there that I have not had a chance to try yet. Also was told I can become a monitor in the woodworking shop so I can go in there and work as well, only stipulation being that I cannot use any power tools unless a second person is there with me. Both of these are great news as I can turn as well as scroll that way, and when someone is with me I can cut, joint and sand my scrap for cutting boards.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 07:14:32 pm »
Thank you for the up-date and I am glad there is a little bit of joy and comfort
through this time of so much heart-ache.
Do you think Glenda would appreciate a card shower from the members here or
is that a bad idea?
Continued prayers for you and your family.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 09:54:46 am »
Eburk, Thanks for keeping us posted and glad there is opportunity for you to carry on with your hobby at the same place your Bride is. I hope the future will get you and your wife back home to Alaska. The southern states are a nice place to visit, get away from the cold people are great and life is good.; but nothing beats our Northern regions where the skies are big, water is crystal clean, the smell of the forest and abundance of moose and other large animals and of course the fishing.

God's blessings.... norm fengstad, Nipawin, Saskakatchewan

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:28 am »
 ;D HOT DARN!! So glad the sun has started to show between the clouds! Greetings to you and your wife from North Dakota.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi