Author Topic: current converter  (Read 3304 times)

Offline JMAC

• View Profile
current converter
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:06:28 am »
I am thinking of importing a 20" Delta or 20" Dewalt scrollsaw here to Germany , but i will need a current converter ! does anybody know how much power the motors have.
(how many Watts ) . i will be converting from 220 v to 110 v .
you never stop learning.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: current converter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:20:42 am »
the spec for the dw788 reads 1.3 amps at 120 volts. that puts its power at 156 watts or less (1/5 HP).

if you look on ebay there are used isolation trandformers that had been used in phone booths (but we have few of those booths today). These allow you to wire for 1:1, 2:1, or 1:2 transformation (240:240, 240:120, or 120:240). They provide protection for load from high frequency surges like lightning so would be good for your saw. There are different sizes for different current ratings, so look for one that's good for 2 amps or more.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:32:09 am »
the spec for the dw788 reads 1.3 amps at 120 volts. that puts its power at 156 watts or less (1/5 HP).

if you look on ebay there are used isolation trandformers that had been used in phone booths (but we have few of those booths today). These allow you to wire for 1:1, 2:1, or 1:2 transformation (240:240, 240:120, or 120:240). They provide protection for load from high frequency surges like lightning so would be good for your saw. There are different sizes for different current ratings, so look for one that's good for 2 amps or more.
Ray
can you clarify a small matter concerning these transformers
As I understand it the US machines are 120 volt at 60 cycles were as we are on 50 cycles, as I understand it (or am told) if you are to use  a 60 cycle machine on 50 cycle supply it can cause problems with the machine running faster/slower than it should, along with possible over heat problems.
I am considering import and there are transformer out there that a said to be specific to US equipment, but as yet I have not found one that is 60 cycles.??

Dave

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
A transformer cannot change the frequency, you will need a converter.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:47:24 am »
Dave - with an Induction motor, the motor speed follows the frequency of the supply. This is the type motor used in simpler machines like a grinder, belt sander, band saw, etc. 60 Hz is the same as 3600 Cycles per minute. We typically see induction motors rated 1725 RPM. These are 4-pole motors meaning they turn one revolution for every two power system cycles. Induction motors also have what's called a Slip Frequency. If you put 60 Hz voltage to a 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor but put no load on the motor, it will spin at close to 1800 RPM. As you add load, it slows a little as torque is added to the shaft, until at rated load (1/2 HP in this case) it has slowed to 1725 RPM. There's nothing wrong with this - it's just how it works. The difference between no-load and load speed (1800-1725) is the slip frequency. Put the same motor on a 50 Hz source at it will turn at 1500 RPM no load. But you cannot run a 120V motor at 240V, so the transformer is needed.

BUT I don't think (I don't have a schematic so I can't prove it right now) you are running an induction motor. The scroll saw uses a variable speed DC motor. Whatever frequency you give it is converted to DC by the saw's electronics then chopped to the motor to control motor speed. If you can get an electrical schematic, or anyone has one, we could check and be sure. Or check with DeWalt or maybe even Seyco (I think Seyco would know and actually give an answer). A DW788 manual might even specify that 50 or 60 Hz can be used as long as it's 120V.

BTW - it is correct that in most cases a transformer cannot change frequency (there's an exception used in the power system). If you put 240V 50Hz in, you'll get 120V 50 Hz out.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »
BOY....Daveo and Ray....I sure am GLAD I don't have this problem.  You guys are talking OVER MY HEAD.  LOL  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »
I spoke to Ray Seymore at Seyco about this. First, the EX-21 is available for sale in your location and is configured for your local voltage. It might be a toss-up to get the EX-21 vs. DW788 plus converter or transformer.

Second, the EX-21 uses a 90 Volt DC permanent magnet motor. The input AC is rectified to DC and fed to the motor by the speed control. I can't guarantee, but I'd bet it's close to the same in the DW.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27:23 pm »
Ray
thank you very much for going to the time and trouble on this
my reason for looking at the 788 was that it has that bit more speed than the average animal. It is now clear though that short of an expensive converter, the 788 would actually run a little slower than the EX21. So maybe I may go down that route sometime soon, it would be nice to have something with a lift arm for those portrait cut.
The one ironic thing is that I could actually import the 788 including all shipping and import duties, for 2 thirds of the price of the EX 21 in this country
but there by the grace of god go I.
thanks again
Dave

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:12:18 am »
You probably know that the EX-21 has the feature of tilting the saw rather than the table. To me, working with the blank on a level surface was worth some extra $$$. It is a good machine with good support, at least here in the US. It is a lot of money, so it's not a simple decision.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 12:06:54 pm »
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?loadfile=catalog6_0.html