Author Topic: A Glueing Clamp I made - 90 degrees  (Read 1715 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
A Glueing Clamp I made - 90 degrees
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:45:27 pm »
Here is a neat gluing jig I built for 90 degree corners.  Should have made it a year ago.

"A" is a 90 degree piece of moulding I bought from Lowes.  Sawed of & discarded the top decorative part, glued & screwed the bottom 3 1/2" to the base.
"Bs" are 1 X 4s glued to "A".  Glued & screwed to the base.  Note that they are 3/4" back from the inside corner, to allow excess glue to drip.  There is also a hole in the base for drippings.  I put wax paper under the hole.
"Cs" are the pieces to be glued together.  45ed or butt joint.
"Ds" are scrap 1 X 4s for the treaded rods to scuff up.
"Es" are glued & screwed to the base.  Threaded nuts are hammered in on the inside.
        Short threaded rods purchased  from Lowes & sawed in half.  Knobs are threaded on the inside.  Locking nuts up against them.

It is so much darn fun to use that sometimes I get up in the night, go out to the garage in my pajamas, and glue together "stuff'

jerry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: A Glueing Clamp I made - 90 degrees
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:12 am »
Looks like a good idea. I'm not sure what the A part 90 deg moulding is.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:57:10 am »
Ray, I took it to mean that part "A" was something like the pre-fab corners you can buy when doing crown molding.  Presumably it is a true 90 degrees and is only used to establish the "B" parts at 90 degrees.  If I am correct, once the "B"s were in place, the "A"s are not needed.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:40:09 am »
I posted the original.  Jim, you are right on.  As we all learned, when you put glue on something and start clamping, the glue acts as a lubricant.  The pieces being glued "slide" in relation to each other.  My intent was to start by gluing something that was already a solid 90 degrees.

FYI.  By sheer luck, when I picked up the 1st 90 degree moulding at Lowes, I carried it over the to isle with the carpenter squares.  IT WAS "OFF" A HAIR!  Carried the square with me over to the mouldings to check another one.  2nd one was OK.

After cutting off the top decorative part, I glued on the 2 parts (marked "B"), the "90 degrees" closed up slightly, to -90 degrees.  I laid a board across the open end & ran a clamp from that board to the point of the triangle and squeezed it to 90.  Achieved perfection.

You guys are right.  IF you could clamp the boards to anything that was surfaced to a perfect 90, "A" would not have been needed.  I don't have the tools for that and am too D____  old to buy anymore.

jerry

SMF

Teknoromi