Author Topic: Score at the restore  (Read 2179 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Score at the restore
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »
Well since I was on call today and didn't get called into work, the restore hit me like a ton of bricks, oh yea I need to go check it out. So of on a last mintue decision to go. I asked them if they had any small bits of formica laminate, guy said he didn't think, then asked what about a small part of a counter top that had some, told him my idea that I needed a small bit of it to make a saw top slicker, they had another building loaded with stuff, cabinets, flooring, and he said I could look around to see what I could come up, and low and behold I found a small roll of formica! I asked him how much he said oh 5-10 bucks cool. Looked around rest of store see what other stuff I might fancy in, nothing caught my eye, go check out and he gave it to me for 5 bucks, think I am in heaven. Now just got to mark out it and cut it, and in hopes not try to tear it up, may cut the size I need in wood than kinda sandwhich the piece in the wood to keep from splitting it and chipping it, I know if cutting on my table saw the the face of the formica should face up so the direction of the blade doesn't chip out the top right? I got enough to make more if I mess up, but think sandwhich it in between some wood would work better.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Re: Score at the restore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »
Hi Gary. I tried some leftover formica, before I went with the Plexiglas. In both cases when I was putzing with them to see how to best cut them I found, for me, using my dremel with a cutting blade worked best. If you use the dremel please make sure your work area is ventilated (burning plastic fumes bad!). I too love the ReStore. Cheers, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:14 pm »
I watched a good vid on youtube a guy used the table and it cut perfect and in fact had the face of the formica up, he also used some shears which cut it good, also of course a laminate trimmer but not going to go buy one to do this and only once, also used some snips but did say your edge will need to be dressed up, circular saw works just make sure the laminate doesn't rattle or will break. I have enough if mess up will try something else, I also plan on putting some tape down on my cut line to reduce any chips or tear. Oh I also hate plastic fumes I hace used a dremel to cut plastic before and don't like it, rather go with my table saw to try to get a good clean accurate cut.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »
  i cut mine on the ss. cut it a little big, glued it to top. used palm sander for
exact fit

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:19 pm »
Be forewarned I was installing a new counter top and ripped my hand on a broken piece while cleaning up. It's like a razor and not only do you suffer the laceration but the formica fibers work their way into the wound - _UBER_ painful! Cheers, Barry.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
Be forewarned I was installing a new counter top and ripped my hand on a broken piece while cleaning up. It's like a razor and not only do you suffer the laceration but the formica fibers work their way into the wound - _UBER_ painful! Cheers, Barry.

Yea I know I got a cut on my knuckle on my thumb  how that happened I don't know, might been in part this stuff was rolled up for so long it stays that way and in trying to get it up to cut a piece ripped off and when it did think thats when it cut my knuckle, I never even knew or felt it.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:18:54 am »
For cutting the formica on a circular saw or table saw,
I've often heard that you should use a blade for plywood
and put it on BACKWARDS. I would definitely think you would
still have to a a sacrificial board underneath the formica.
God Bless! Spirithorse

king310

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:55:24 am »
this is a very simple trick for cutting Formica or countertops. When I worked in a lumber yard when I was younger and was taught by our countertop expert. If you know where you are going to cut cover the area with masking tape draw lines and use a plywood blade if for circular saw. You will never chip the Formica.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:12:37 pm »
I cut mine on my table saw pretty easy and clean, the vid I watched did say use a blade with alot of teeth like a 60 and up or even a plywood blade.

SMF

Teknoromi