Author Topic: easy rustic finish  (Read 9961 times)

daliclimbs

easy rustic finish
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
Some of you may already know of and use this technique. For those that don't here ya go. This finish is simply a mix of white vinegar and steel wool. Place a few chunks of steel wool in a Mason jar. I use 1/2 pint. Let it set for a few days with the lid on and presto instant finish. The vinegar will break down the wool and create an  iron solution. Just brush it on and let it soak in. The whole process works with the natural tannins in the wood. Some wood is full of tannins such as oak walnut and maple. Be careful with these woods as they will turn a deep ebony color. Rustic items are very popular around my area and I have used this finish for years. People love it. To obtain a deeper color you can use multiple coats. If your wood is not reacting much with the solution brush on some strong tea first and allow it to dry. The tea introduces tannins into the wood.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: easy rustic finish
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
Excellent tip Scott!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »
I suppose at some point I will stop being so amazed at the tips I see here, but not yet!!!!! Thanks Scott.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »
You might like to know this finish absolutely stinks as you apply it, but the good news is once it has dried there is no smell at all.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:22 pm »
You might like to know this finish absolutely stinks as you apply it, but the good news is once it has dried there is no smell at all.
Does it smell like a dirty cat box? :o :o
Dan In Southern California

daliclimbs

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »
More like pickles made of wood!  ;)

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:06:33 am »
Thanks for the tip.

docupton

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:11:38 am »
Love this tip, thanks for posting it.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 02:29:35 pm »
What a great name for a rock band  "WOODEN PICKLES" ;D
I knew a band by the name of UC (for URNIAL CAKES)
My how these post seem to wander ;D
Thanks for the great idea.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 04:29:47 pm »
I started a batch of "Wooden Pickles" the same day as the first post.  When  Keffie posted about the stink, another use came to mind.  I do love all the people that come to my shop. Some when the come, other when they leave. Seems a good way to get rid of unwanted guests!

docupton

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 11:18:40 am »
Steel wool, white vinegar and a  screw lid jar all mixed together, going to try it on some pine garden signs, I'll let you know the results soon.

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »
I tried out my "Wooden Pickle Juice" today. Results -  White Oak turned almost ebony. Not ugly but not brown or reddish either. I see potential for it.  Oak Plywood -  turned black, but not as dark as the solid oak. Once again not a ugly black but something useable for certain things.  Yellow Pine turned a rich brown.   For my small scrap test it worked as good or better than any stain I have used.  All in all, I like the results and will use it again. The aroma was almost toxic!, Stink is such a mild word for this mixture.  Has anyone ever tried adding a dye to the mix? I am going to try a little bit and see what happens.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:24:11 pm »
my jar of it is nearly 5 years old now and gives a great colour to the wood, but I had to strain it through a coffee filter paper to remove the iron filings - all that was left of the wire wool lol. But it has still retained it's stink, it just got better with age lol.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
One thing that surprised me was how little it takes to make the color change. I tried a putting on a very light coat.  Same results!   Keffie, after reading your post, I wonder why I decided to make a double size batch :(

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 06:20:59 am »
Billy, I made the mistake (well not mistake ) of making a large batch of it, not realising it takes so little to do a good job, it's lasted me for ages, but at least it doesn't go off - it just smells that way  ;D ;D

SMF

Teknoromi