Author Topic: Coin Cutting  (Read 2698 times)

Shogun

Coin Cutting
« on: January 05, 2014, 11:06:32 am »
Hi everyone, I know some of you have been cutting coins and I have been wanting to try my hand at it for several weeks but I keep running into issues with printing so I need some help/advice. I have been using Sarif photo plus starter edition or paint with the same results....I make the pattern to fit a quarter and when I print it (HP Deskjet 2512 model printer) it comes out too large every time. I tried resizing the pattern its self and even duplicating it in paint with the same results. Does any one have any Idea what I may be doing wrong?

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Coin Cutting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:43 am »
JAMES
I have had these issues and not sure of the true ansawer, but I usually gat round it by opening the image in inksacape, trace the bitmap, resize to suit then print direct from inkscape
Dave

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:45 pm »
One possible solution - clunky at best but it should work.

Print your pattern and measure the coin diameter on the print.  Compare that to the actual diameter and calculate the size you need to print at.  Most printing programs will let you scale the print.

Another thought - will your image editor let you scale the image before printing?  That might also give you the correct printed size.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:26:34 pm »
There is a way in gimp to resize to fit I was told how but done forgot the process.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:11:47 pm »
GIMP has [Image][Print Size] that can scale a picture, but you may still need to play with the printer dialog to make sure it does not change the size. On my printer there is an option to scale, and I set it to 100% (it normally scales to 97% to avoid margins).

Another way that seems to work every time is to use Word. Open a blank document, us the [Insert] menu and the [Picture] button to get the picture in the document, then right click on the picture to see its dimensions. You can type in any size for Horizontal or Vertical and it will resize the picture. Then when Word prints it, it comes out just that size.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Shogun

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:10:06 am »
Thanks guys, that gives me some options to play with.

smw

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 06:45:30 am »
I know this is an old post but maybe help someone like myself a new member reading it now, I think the issue with the size is down to the resolution you are using,a lot of image editor use a default resolution of 300. try dropping the resolution down to about 72 which should give you a 1:1 size

SMF

Teknoromi