Author Topic: Recommendations for a band saw  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Recommendations for a band saw
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:30:28 pm »
I've been considering buying a band saw for my shop and selling my old Grizzly table saw to make room for it.  Hardly ever use the table saw anyway.  Thought I'd use a band saw for cutting thicker wood toys, some resawing, etc.  It would have to work on 120 Volts.  But I have never used a band saw and really don't know what to look for. What size, brand, options etc.  Suggestions?  Recommendations?  Or am I nuts for thinking about this?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a band saw
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »
Hey Crabby, The band saw on my wish list is the Rikon 14" Deluxe. It has some nice features, but what I really like is it has a 13" resaw capacity. Go over to www.woodcraft.com and check it out.
The Woodcraft store that I teach at has one in the shop. I have used it many times, and would recommend it!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:28:15 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »
I've had a Delta 14" 1 HP Bandsaw for about 16 years, with a 6" riser block installed. The riser block gives me about 1' re-saw capacity, which I've only needed  a few times, but I'm glad I had it when it was needed.  The saw has never given me any problems and the original tires on it are like new.  I would highly recommend it, but I would never trade it for my table saw.   
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:12 pm »
I purchased the Rikon 14" Deluxe from Woodcraft last fall. I did my research beforehand and found it had rave reviews. As Dan mentioned, it runs very smooth and is very functional. It has been an awesome addition to my shop and I have never regretted the purchase.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »
I use a band-saw with a 6" cut and 14" clearance but I would not do without my bench saw, I have that tucked away as it is not used that often, a band saw is not that accurate at cutting as a bench saw and the blades are not cheap
Jimbo

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:03 am »
If I could afford it the Ricon Deluxe 14 is the one I have been wanting for over 4 yrs now.  It has gotten great reviews from all working magazines.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:56 am »
Misspelled Rikon

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »
Look around on Cragislist.  You can often find used bandsaws in great condition.  I bought a Jet from Craigslist, then upgraded it with the riser (12 inch capacity for thickness now), and the Carter guides and stabilizer.  The bandsaw is one of my favorite tools, but my Unisaw gets used more than all the other saws in my shop hands down.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »
I have a Grizzly GO555 band saw with  a riser block .  I use it mostly for re-sawing and have often re-sawn 12" boards with it.  I use wood slicer blades from Highland and they work well.  I buy 1 1/8" cedar and re-saw it to 3/8" to make boxes with.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:46 pm »
I didn't realize I needed to change the "tire" on my band saw. I had it for many.many years.  I am having trouble with it tracking right and a 1/8th inch blade won't stay on at all.  Is the problem with the tire?
If so how do I remove the old black one so I can install the blue urathane from wood craft.  Will the 14 inch tire fit any 14 inch saw?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:05 pm »
Yes Judy, It could be the tires. When you get your new tires they will come with directions.
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »
Judy you can adjust the tracking of the blade from the back of the saw it tilts the drive wheels, different size blades track differently as a rule, I use the same size so don't have to adjust the tracking
Jimbo

joey65746

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:53:29 am »
I have a grizzly 14 inch xtream with the riser block and wood not trade it for any thing they have alot of differnt saws to pick from take a look at them they are priced great

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:16 am »
I have a cute little delta 9 inch bandsaw. Actually I have one in my home shop and 3 at my middle school (I bought mine after seeing the punishment the schools go through and still run great)
I do wish I could resaw more then a few inches.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:52:00 am »
Ok now for the really dumb question of the day.  Are the teeth of tghe blade supposed to run on the tire or just off the edge? do I need new tires for both the upper and lower wheels?  I am using 1/4 blade 10 tpi.
A very OLD saw 14 inch throat.
I'm from North Dakota

SMF

Teknoromi