Author Topic: Been thinking again  (Read 2544 times)

thumbs

Been thinking again
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »
So here I was cutting out a pattern--now when I cut, I have a lot of time to think--the question for the week end is(drum roll, please)-Do you use the biggest possible blade or the smallest possible blade--got too much time on my mind--Richard aka thumbs

daliclimbs

Re: Been thinking again
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:41:53 pm »
Always smallest possible for me.. I can't stand bulky blades!

Rover2

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »
Always the smallest for me.  Saves on sanding.  The right blade for the right job will give you the best finish. 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
I use the smallest blade that will do the job. The smaller the blade, the finer the cut. The finer the cut, the less sanding!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:49:05 pm »
Most of the wood I cut is thick and hard [20mm thick or more] so I use #5 blades where possible as finer blades break, stack cutting I use a finer blade
Jimbo

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:07:49 pm »
I use the smallest blade that does the job well.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:55 pm »
i have usually used the smallest blade, but now trying the largest. I don't see much difference in the finish and its quicker and less likely to break blades.
Bill

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:55:22 pm »
I just chose, what I feel is the right blade for the project that I am doing. Some of it comes from experience.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:57:54 am »
It looks like I'm in the minority; for Intarsia work I use #7, soft woods or #9, hard woods, reverse tooth blades 90% of the time.  I find I can use blades longer without worrying about them breaking if I cut aggressively.  My cuts, straight or curved, are more accurate with these blades because they flex less than if I was to use the smaller ones and as stated above, I hardly ever have a blade break before it wears out.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:43:48 am »
I use bigger blades for outline cutting, such as the 30 rabbits I cut out of ?? softwood for my daughter?s class to paint up for Easter, it was quick and I only used 2 blades. With my inexperience, I find the bigger blades make it much easier to follow a line at speed. For finer work such as Steve?s ?? thick wobble bowl, I use a No1 or 3 and have to go pretty slowly and concentrate hard to avoid the pitfalls of starting the corners to soon or too late and generally have the assistance of the lamp magnifier as well
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:08 am »
I usae both depending on what I have to cut.  How thick is the wood, what size is the area I'm cutting, etc.  The thinner the wood the smaller the blade.
ChelCass

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:11 am »
Another vote for the thinner side.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:11 am »
Intarsia92 has my policy also.  I tend to use #9  and #7 the most.  I got some heavy duty industrial looking blades from Mike and found that they break just as easily as #7's do.  (These blades are over 1/8" wide.)  I did notice that while most blades cut better across the grain than  with the grain, the opposite is true of the heavy duty blades.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »
I use #5 blades for everything.  Of course Mike's Flying Dutchman reverse.  They last a long time and I hardly ever break a blade, they wear out first.  I also only use Red Oak. Same for stack cutting, occasionally use #2 spiral blade for feathers or things that require a bit of a rough line.   

Waddawood

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »
As most of you know, I do large projects so I use primarily #5 spirals.  Now and then #3 spirals.

SMF

Teknoromi