Author Topic: dremel rotary drill  (Read 2289 times)

normcat

dremel rotary drill
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a Dremel or Proxxon rotary drill for sanding, drilling small holes etc. Now my question is will it be useful for my scrollsawing or a waste of money? Bought tools in the past which seemed a great idea at the time but now sit in a cupboard, so has anyone got one and do you find it useful? 

Mainewoods

Re: dremel rotary drill
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »
I own two of them!  Very useful for lots of different projects.  Bought my first one when I was 18 and it finally died a couple years ago (I'm 47 now).  I have the workstation (drill press) for it and use that for drilling most of my fretwork holes.  I also have the  plunge router attachment and a flex shaft attachment.  I almost always use one for about every project I've done.  Just a handy tool to have around!

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »
I second that!

Been using one since I was a teenager and am now 74!!!
Have worn out several and also gave one to each of my sons when they started doing projects on their own.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline TigerPawTreasures

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:29:32 pm »
I know I'm a newbie here but I third that.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:40:52 pm »
            Bought one about a year ago along with many of the bits, I don't get on with it at all, and it now sits under the bench redundant. I may get it out in the future and use it to drill holes along with the flexi hose, but that is it.
Frustration is the food of invention.

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:06:26 pm »
Go for it Normcat,Ive been using one for years. In fact I'm on my third one, use it for a multitude of jobs including drilling and sanding small parts. Don't get a cordless one if you are going to use it a lot. Hope this helps Normcat.
Rob Roy.

Offline maritimer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:57 pm »
Great tool....I have 4!  I too have the drill press, plunge router (although I haven't used it yet....hubby thought I should have it!), and the router table.  I use the table a lot.  I hate changing out the tool and no it's not hard to do I just want things ready to go when I want it...maybe it's laziness too!  Costco here had them on for $34.99 cdn....certainly couldn't pass that up.  I don't think you'll regret buying one.  :) 

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:34:21 am »
I love my Dremel. Use it often and as I have no drill press (yet) I use it for drilling all my fine holes. Also have the router wish is great for use on softer wood, never tried it on hard wood.
Thanks my penny's worth.
David

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:58:07 am »
I use them so much that I now have 4 of them.  1 is mounted in a homemade router table designed just for the Dremal and use 1/8 router bits. 1 with a flex shaft and 1 in the Dremal drill press and 1 to use free hand.

normcat

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:05 am »
Thanks for all the feedback. Based on that I will be getting one, the only decision now is which one as there is a lot of different models. Head says buy a cheap one to see how I get on, heart says get top of the range. Keep thinking of  the old saying " Buy cheap buy twice".

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:04:49 am »
Thanks for all the feedback. Based on that I will be getting one, the only decision now is which one as there is a lot of different models. Head says buy a cheap one to see how I get on, heart says get top of the range. Keep thinking of  the old saying " Buy cheap buy twice".
My philosophy has always been buy the best that you can afford.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:18 am »
I second Dan's philosophy, buy the best you can afford and you won't have to buy twice.  Best examples, Scrollsaws.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:14:57 pm »
Like Graybeard, I've owned more Dremels than I can remember.  But then I'm a bit old and it's hard to think back that far.  Today I have four units and wouldn't be without them.  One is in the Workstation (drill press), another has the flex and handpiece and the others I use free hand for whatever.  I do a lot of drilling, sanding and cutting with them.  I have the router bits, but haven't used them.

I think you'd like it, and find many uses if you buy one.. But if you go for "cheap", you'll hate it. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »
I bought a Dremel variable speed tool and found that  it would bog down too much while sanding at anything but top speed.  I find that the $28 Black and Decker ones at Walmart are better.  They have three speeds instead of variable and do not slow down like a Dremel does.  I now have a Mastercarver for doing that kind of sanding and keep one Black and Decker and only  use  it to drill pilot holes for double bevel inlay work. 
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

tux_linux

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »
Get one - and a second one for the dremel router table. That is a fine think for routing small pieces, I can really recommend that little router table.

I'm routing most of the bases of the wordart I'm making, jewelry and even some of the other stuff. It gives a little extra to the pieces without overdoing it.

SMF

Teknoromi