Author Topic: Concentric Vase entry holes  (Read 1070 times)

andrescrolledcrafts

Concentric Vase entry holes
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:27:40 pm »
I think it's real cool you could make a vase using a 3/4" thick piece of wood on the scrollsaw rather than a block of wood on the lathe. After watching a related video, I gave it a shot using your pattern. After cutting out the rings, my entry holes are very noticeable; if I sand them smooth, one side of the vase will be thinner than the rest; what size drill bit and what size blade is the best to use? The drill bit I used was a 1/16; Should I use one smaller?
Any suggestions would be great; I really like this technique.

tux_linux

Re: Concentric Vase entry holes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:01:14 pm »
yes, try a smaller drill. Your blade needs to fit through, that's all. I'm using most times a 1mm drill and have also 0.8mm (1/32") and 0.5mm (just above 1/64").

Also try to tilt your drill press, that should give you a better chance to hide the drill hole.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:43:02 pm »
I agree, you need a smaller drill bit. I use #54 or #56 numbered drills. It just needs to be large enough for the blade to go through. Tilting the table on the drill press to the same angle as the table on the saw is a must also.
That being said, on the last vase that I posted (Cherry Vase) on the brag section, I cut the rings from the outside in and made a diagonal cut into the next line to the inside and then glued the ends together before stacking them. No holes to be drilled! Unfortunately there is still a lot of sanding to be done. The walls on that vase are approximately 1/4" thick by the time I was finished.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:05:42 am »
You can order small drill bits and Flying Dutchman Blades from Mike at Mikes Workshop8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
If you off set the holes in the pieces so they don't line up, when you sand it smooth you will remove a little bit from all the sides.
Also, It isn't necessarly a bad thing if one side is thiner then the other. Most of the time you are the only one who will notice.

SMF

Teknoromi