Author Topic: Scroll saw dust collection  (Read 11488 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Scroll saw dust collection
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »
Why? not a lot of dust to require that much over the top gear ?
when you cut as much as I do, there is a mountain of dust under my saw. There is also a lot of airborne dust. I am not so concerned about the dust that falls to the bottom of the saw or floor. As GB said, it is easy to sweep up and vac with a shop vac. I am more concerned with the airborne dust. Have you ever blown your nose after cutting for several hours? A lot of crap comes out! Can you imagine what your lungs take in? Did you know that wood dust is a carcinogen? That means that it can cause cancer! I personally know of two woodworkers that died of lung cancer. They did not smoke!
So, Thats why!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »
Adequate dust collection is a must in any shop to protect your health. Every dollar spent will be well worth it in the long run. There are several inexpensive ways that work very well. One is an AC filter strapped to to a box fan. Also the fan/motor from a clothes dryer work well and can be vented to the outside so no filter is needed.    :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

chipwood

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:44 am »
when you cut as much as I do, there is a mountain of dust under my saw. There is also a lot of airborne dust. I am not so concerned about the dust that falls to the bottom of the saw or floor. As GB said, it is easy to sweep up and vac with a shop vac. I am more concerned with the airborne dust. Have you ever blown your nose after cutting for several hours? A lot of crap comes out! Can you imagine what your lungs take in? Did you know that wood dust is a carcinogen? That means that it can cause cancer! I personally know of two woodworkers that died of lung cancer. They did not smoke!
So, Thats why!

This has been a problem for many years and if someone had a good price extraction system folks would buy it but they tend to cater for larger production businesses who can afford them not the solo craftsperson.

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 08:00:48 pm »
Thanks Dgman,  I built one just like it and man, does it help!  Between the dust collector and the air filter above the scrollsaw, and mask,  I can breath after a long day of scrolling.  Before I would cough and hack all night.  Thanks again!!!
Chris

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »
Good to hear it's working for you Raptor! I gave mine a good workout today, And it did a great job!

nickchalker

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 11:21:40 pm »
Thanks for the ideas!!  I have been thinking/looking for some ideas for a similar set up.  I have been doing the good ol' broom and dust pan method but now that I am doing a lot more cutting, I need to set up something.  I just recently made a set up for my lathe and it works great and I made my own "cyclone" separator for my shop vac.  I needs a little tweaking but it works!
Nick

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:16 am »

It does add up after a while, and it's so fine it gets everywhere, any shelves, wet paint, in your lungs, in your eyes, just to name a few, and some woods are toxic so you don't want them in your body! Those fine particles drift as easily as pollen which is probably the number one cause of allergies so I think they would add to the discomfort.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

ChuckD

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 01:55:12 pm »
Hey Gabby, did you get the beast running (your computer)?  If so you up kind of later for a older fella, ain't ya.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:46 am »
Chuck I'm a certified NIGHT OWL I'm up as a regular thing till 2 or 3 and some times even later.
I've always liked the night time when everyone else is asleep, no interruptions and it's quiet. I've worked nights for a good portion of my life and my last job was nights, so when I was forced to quit working the clock still stayed on a night time schedule. The boss complaines about it all the time but I'm retired so I'll do it my way!
Gabby the KNIGHT OWL
LOL
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 06:06:51 pm »
Note to self:  don't cut puzzles and push the puzzle pieces toward the dust collector mounted to the table top.  By the way, my dust collector doesn't have a chip catcher on the side so a puzzle piece got caught in the collector fan.  Unfortunately I can't use it cause it's mangled too bad.

I guess I need to install a chip catcher between the saw and the collector.  Any ideas on how to do this?
Chris

tux_linux

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »
some fence should do the trick. Mine has a bag for the dust. I accidentally vacuumed some drill bits some weeks ago - and found in the bag not only those, but also some screw bits and various other things I was missing.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:25 pm »

I guess I need to install a chip catcher between the saw and the collector.  Any ideas on how to do this?

Hey Chris, I have a homemade chip collector that I made several years ago. It uses a 30 gal. fiber drum. I used toilet flanges to mount the hoses to the top of the drum. You can find a parts kit here: http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm. Here are some pic of mine.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 11:42:17 pm »
You also might try one of these: http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustacces.htm#399. Scroll down to #399.

J,Hamilton

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:40 am »
Those lids do work nice. They create more of a vortex inside of the drum to allow for better chip fallout.

SMF

Teknoromi