Author Topic: Adhesive caps  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Raptor66

• View Profile
Adhesive caps
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:22:29 pm »
Any ideas on how to keep spray caps unclogged?
Chris

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Adhesive caps
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »
sometimes you are supposed to turn the can upside down and spray until the stuff doesn't come out any more. Rinsing the cap in hot water sometimes loosenes up the gunk enough to get it out. I think someone on here keeps the caps in a glass of mineral spirits (I think...but I am not sure).

TomC

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
I usually hold the can upside down and spray till it is only spraying air, but I always feel like it's wasting the glue (ior paint). I maqy try putting the cap in mineral spirits.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:28:32 pm »
I use mineral spirits to remove the left on pattern off the piece I just cut.  Before I throw the paper towel away I just wipe off the spray nozzle.  The min. spirits take any residue off the nozzle.  I don't do it everytime just when I think of it.

Barry

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:30:15 am »
I keep the caps in a glass of mineral spirits. If there clogged already soak them in a little lacquer thinner.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:47:30 am »
I keep a jar of celulose thinners, every time i finish with a can i remove the nozzle and leave it in the jar. Never had a clogged nozzle and dont waste any spray turning can upside down and spraying till it's clear. I also use the thinners on a paper towel to wipe across a pattern, then pattern lifts of wood without any trouble.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:32:46 am »
 Put mine in mineral spirets, works good, and should turn the can upside down and spray, works also.  Edward

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:43:40 pm »
i dont like turning can upside down to spray nozzle clean cause it wastes to much air
so i pull the cap and put it in a baby food jar with min spirits in it. i also keep old ones
around from empty cans in case i need one.
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:58:28 am »
Only experienced clogging a couple of times and borrowed one of the wife's straight pins to clean it out.
The thinner sounds like a good idea.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

J,Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:35:14 am »
Mineral spirits seem to work the best. I do the same thing with my spray guns also. You could also keep some of your old nozzles from the spent cans in case one would then get overly fussy.

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:36:26 am »
I don't use much color spray cans. I have some, which I turn upside down to clean out. Doesn't require much to do so.
My Glue spray doesn't clog.

SMF

Teknoromi