Author Topic: Veneer ?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline JMAC

• View Profile
Veneer ?
« on: October 28, 2011, 11:21:13 am »
Hi All Scrollers, i have a problem.Due to the fact that i cant get hold of high quality wood, i would like to try to use Veneer.The question is How ?  Stack cut the veneer and ply and then stain the inside cuts before glueing,or first glue the veneer and then carfully stain the inside cuts, or any other method ? i am looking forwood to your sugestions/Solutions.
Thanks in advance   John.
you never stop learning.

daliclimbs

Re: Veneer ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 08:19:36 am »
Hi there buddy. I have always glued everything before hand. As long as you get a good even glue up, the veneer will essentially become part of the wood. sometimes finishing the small cuts can be a pain. Everyone comes up with their own system. I do mostly submersion finishing. Where I use a flat container large enough to dip the whole project into it. Then I clean off the excess. But I don't stain my work, I use this technique for boiled linseed or lemon Oil.

tux_linux

Re: Veneer ?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:55:39 pm »
I have done that a couple of times.

I glued the veneer first. Made 2 layer and 3 layer versions, both became pretty stable.

You need to have a good press to glue the layers in. A good pressure is needed. I have 2 3/4" beech plates that I rounded a bit to give them the pressure on the middle when I clamp the outside (if that now makes sense).

SMF

Teknoromi