Author Topic: Another Clock Completed  (Read 2761 times)

garyinnevada

Another Clock Completed
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:16:18 am »
This is the Westminster Clock. I believe the pattern is available at Wildwood Designs. Its built entirely of 1/4" Red Oak and some 1/8" Black Walnut overlays.
Ive built quite a few clocks and this is without a doubt the best built clock Ive done. It has a 3/4" main structure that makes the clock very sturdy.
The plans called foe a regular Bezel type clock movement, I just prefer the scrolled dials. I just wish I could find some different patterns for new dials.
This is also the first time Ive used Laquer for a finish instead of BLO and Poly. It measures 32"x12"x8"

I highly recommend this clock for Scrollers of all levels, its a blast to build and the final outcome is Awesome!!

I hope you enjoy my Pics, Im still a rookie with the camera.

Gary

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:39:15 am by garyinnevada »

Marshall

Re: Another Clock Completed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:43:21 am »
Awesome job , I have never took on this large of a scroll project before and I can say that you are one talented scroller ......................Marshall

Offline Caribbean Scroller

• View Profile
    • http://www.woodartz.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:23:22 am »
great job,well done.

tgaspard

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:51:26 pm »
Great Job....keep up the good work

garyinnevada

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »
Thanks so much for the kind words!!

Gary

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:45 pm »
Great work Gary.  I don't believe that I have the patience to complete that.  You did a fine job.  Maybe I will get up enough nerve to try.  I use lacquer almost exclusively, I like the way it dries so quick and it looks good.
Thanks for sharing.

Barry

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:11:45 am »
awesome job.

patch

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:28:54 am »
Great job Gary
Finding clock face plans are a problem I have been looking for some most of what I have found are on clocks

WoodJunky

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »
Great work Gary.

Thanks for sharing.

ReefDiver

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

Wow! Awesome & very ornate indeed. Nice job.............

Steve

Offline scrollriffic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 03:49:33 pm »
That's one nice clock. How long did it take you? Bobby

garyinnevada

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 06:43:38 pm »
Thank You Bobby!

I would guess I have 20 or 30 hrs in this clock. Since Scrolling is just a hobby, I move pretty slow around here.
This clock has become one of my favorites because of how well its designed and the inside structure is very strong. You cant even see the main frame of the clock, but its made of 3/4" Oak.
I highly recommend building this clock to all beginners and advanced Scrollers. She's a Beauty!!

Thanks so much,
Gary

cherie

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »
Gary, I love the clocks you do and one day I would love to do one.  I am not afraid of the cutting, it is the putting together and the clock inserts themselves.  However I like your idea of making your own dials.  How long does it take you to cut the pieces, then how long to put it together?

garyinnevada

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:32:29 pm »
Cherie,
The assembly of the clocks is very simple. Once you do a big clock you will be amazed how simple they are to build. They are very addicting too, about all I scroll anymore is clocks.
The clock we are talking about in this thread probably took 10 to 15 hrs cutting and quite a bit of time to assemble, due to glue drying time. I like to sand all the fretwork to soften the edges, it adds so much more to the clock.
I also like to oil the wood before I spray it with Poly or Varnish, Laquer or whatever I decide to use.
Cherie I really wish you would try one, they are very rewarding and fun to look at for years and years.

My goal is to be able to design and build my own clock someday, without someone elses pattern. Guys like Nelson and Boelman amaze me...How dey do dat??

Gary
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:05:25 pm by garyinnevada »

Becky

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »
Beautiful work there, Gary.  Wow.

SMF

Teknoromi