Author Topic: This may sound like a stupid question . . . . .  (Read 4139 times)

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
This may sound like a stupid question . . . . .
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:06:12 am »
I know this is an Intarsia board, but I am new to Intarsia and want to learn to do it, but right now I mostly do 'segmentation'.  Would I be more appropriate on the general woodworking board, or do you Intarsia artists consider segmentation part of your craft?

Thanks in advance?
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: This may sound like a stupid question . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:55 pm »
Absolutely!! Intarsia is basically segmentation, It's just shaped differently.
Dan In Southern California

daneklund

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:54:21 pm »
Let me throw in my 2 cents worth.  As I understand it, segmentation is typically made from one piece of wood.  As you cut the pieces the grain will be running in the same direction.  You will do some sanding of the edges and then you finish the pieces using stain, paint, dye, etc.  You reassemble the pieces and glue it together. When you do an intarsia piece, you most likely will use several different wood pieces.  You try and take advantage of the grain direction, color of the wood, and grain pattern to give the finished affect. Then you cut the individual pieces, shape/sand them for affect. You normally do not use anything but a clear finish on the final piece.  JGR instructs to finish the pieces before final assembly.  That eliminates trapping finish between the pieces and catching dust etc.

daneklund

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:56:48 pm »
I also meant to say that segmentation and intarsia are closely related.  Intarsia is more labor intensive to achieve the final result.  I think this is a great forum and this is a good place to ask any questions on either method.

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »
Good info here.  Thanx for sharing.
best regards,

Bud Prine

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 11:33:29 am »
As a newbie to the intarsia world, I am starting out with segmentation and learning new technics as I go along.  I am working my way through "Intarsia Woodworking For Beginners" by Kathy Wise.  With that said, I would love to see "segmentation" discussed here!

Pieter

cherie

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:21 pm »
If I make it to the picnic, this will be one seminar I do not miss.

BigE

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:23 pm »
I think we should talk about and do it all. (Intarsia or Segmentation.) If after about 20 years you want to specialize then go for it. I think it's great to see all aspects of what can be accomplished with the scroll saw, and most of all the talents of our fellow and Gals projects whether for sale, or just fun.
BigE

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:51 am »
There is a good book out "Scroll Saw Segmentation" by Patrick Spielman. It describes Segmentation versus  Intarsia and the advantages of each. There is a chapter showing the tools, and how to use them. And it has 35-40 segmentation patterns along with a few for making Intarsias.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:01:20 pm »
Once again I learnt something today. Thanks for all the info guys.
David

Becky

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 11:06:47 pm »
I am all for some segmentation discussion too.  I've recently started playing with it and am having a lot of fun.  I would love to read more words of wisdom from those who have gone through the learning curve before me.

Terry Jackson

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:36:32 am »
I've done one segmentation 4 times, and each repetition of the same pattern teaches another lesson and improves the result and reduces the time needed.   I suspect it is training wheels for intarsia, given the difference in cost between decent locally available wood and the exotics.  It is also simple but unique and attractive enough that I can sell them quite profitably.  It is the bear door topper from a recent magazine.  Another benefit is the pieces are large enough that a zero-clearance table is not needed and my fat fingers can grasp them to sand.

Glad to see the consensus is that segmentation gets included. 

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 01:12:26 pm »
This was my first attempt at Segmentation.  It was made in 1991, using an OLD, Dremel Scroll Saw with 3? Pin type blade.

I don?t remember why I gave it to my wife, but she still has it hanging on the wall in her sewing room.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Dragonlord85

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »
This was my first segmentation piece.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dragonlord85

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 02:57:56 pm »
Here is a bigger picture.

SMF

Teknoromi