Author Topic: Finishing Boxes ???????  (Read 1368 times)

Offline JMAC

• View Profile
Finishing Boxes ???????
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:42:09 am »
Hi All, I?m new to sawing and i have read and followed Steve?s advice about finishing. Got a tray with oil and dip my stuff, work very well ( i think). Thats ok for flat stuff but the Boss (my wife) wants me to do a box !
How do I finish it, first dip and then glue(when yes what sort of glue do i use)or glue and then apply oil with a brush. Would be very happy for some help.  Sawdust march.
you never stop learning.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Finishing Boxes ???????
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:52:11 am »
Hi JMAC, You want to assemble your box first making sure you have cleaned up the glue that has oozed out.  The oil will not permiate the wood where the glue has dried.  Any good wood glue (titebond, elmers wood glue, ailenes) will do.  The beauty of using oil, is that it doesn't matter which way you put it on.  Rag in on, dip it, sponge, brush.  Oil soaks into the wood and leaves you with a beautiful finish.  Drain the oil or wipe it off good and let it dry then spray with a poly finish. Done.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:05:38 pm »
Julie is right! What I do is place the item in the container of oil. I use an old metal baking pan. If the item is not fully covered, I use an inexpensive chip brush to "wet" the wood and keep it wet for five minutes or so. Let the oil drip back into the pan, then wipe it down with a clean lint free cloth. I use old tee shirts for this. To help get oil out of small fret holes I use compressed air to blow it out. Set it on an old baking drying rack and let it dry. After it is dry, I apply a few coats of spray semi gloss lacquer.
Lemon oil never fully dries. So I use a mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I keep the mixture in an old glass mason jar. When I am done soaking, I pour the oil back into the jar.
What ever oil you use, never leave wadded oily rags laying around in a pile as they can spontaneously combust. Lay them across the edge of a metal garbage can for 24 hours to dry. Then you can toss them in the trash.
good luck!
Dan In Southern California

Offline JMAC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:59:44 pm »
Thank you both for the prompt help,if it turns out well i will post the results,if i can find out how to  lol.

again thanks.
you never stop learning.

SMF

Teknoromi