Author Topic: wenge  (Read 850 times)

Bill P

wenge
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:18:56 pm »
Has anyone ever did any compound cutting on wenge?  If so, any idiosyncrasies you'd like to share?

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: wenge
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:12:29 pm »
Bill, I have not done any compound cutting on wenge, but I have cut it on many occasions. It is a very hard wood that tends to splinter easily. It also tends to burn easily, although it wont show because it is very dark.
I would be interested to find out how it works for you.
What are you thinking about making?
Dan In Southern California

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:33 pm »
I'm thinking about doing a chess set, wenge on one side of the board and zebrawood on the other.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:56:36 pm »
It sure would be pretty! I have some wenge in the shop. If you want, I will try one of the mini bird houses tomorrow, and see how it does. I have a feeling it's going to be tough going!

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 12:04:39 am »
I would really appreciate that!  I'm booked for a long time ahead, but once I get caught up I want to do a chess set for Lisa and I, so there's no hurry.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »
Ok Bill, Yes it was very tough to cut. Used a 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" blank. Used a FD UR #5 blade. I think a #7 would of been better. It burned all the way through the cut. Normally these take about three to five minuets to cut. This one took about ten minuets to cut.  the burning does not show on the wood because it is very dark.
I used Zebra wood for the bird so you can see the contrast between the two. I did not use any oil, Just one coat of semi gloss lacquer.
The first picture is fresh off the saw.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:09:17 pm by dgman »

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »
Thank you so much for doing this!

I think it will be one of those projects I do a little here, and a little there, in between orders.  I do love the way the wenge came out, and the contrast between the two woods.  I suspect the grain in the zebrawood would be more pronounced in doing chess pieces and squares for the board.

Again, thank you.   :D

Bill

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 12:41:06 am »
Very interesting grain structure in the Wenge your chess set will be one of a kind Bill!
Dan thanks for showing that to all of us, the contrast between the woods is great!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi