Author Topic: Puzzle for Kids  (Read 3288 times)

bigred7469

Puzzle for Kids
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:34 pm »
I made this puzzle last night out of 1/8 Baltic Birch.  Was wondering if any body makes these out of 1/4 wood.  I'm worried that a leg or horn might break up and a kid sollow it.  Also what types of finishes do you guys use?  I can't use anything toxic since the pieces could end up in a kids mouth.  Last but least I used a #5 UR FD blade and I'm guess that was just a bit much blade for it because the tight turns were very hard to stay on the patteren.  Thanks for your inputs.

Red

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Puzzle for Kids
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »
For tray style puzzles I try to use nothing less thick than 1/4".  For standup style puzzles I typically use 3/4" stock.  I usually dip in danish oil or lemon oil if I'm going to use a clear coat over the lemon oil.
You did a nice job for your first attempt.  For 1/8"-1/4' stock i use a superior puzzle blade from mikes workshop.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Oges

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:34:43 pm »
Nice work, I really like the idea of the different layers

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:09 am »
Hey!

I'm with dunk, try 1/4" thick material. And use a smaller balde - a superior is fine, a #1 will also do the trick.

The finish: Nearly all finishes in the US are non toxic. Just read the instructions on the bottle. Most of us use a box with the oil in it to dip the pieces into. This way you can be sure to have it covered all over and not missed a spot. Don't drown it - just put it in the oil and take it out.

I often try to leave puzzles unfinished or just to cover them with a bit of bee-wax.

If you want more finish you could try shellac. But not on a puzzle.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:38 pm »
Amazing, I just cut the same puzzle. I painted the animals with non-toxic paint. I will post a picture when the paint dries.  :)
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:34:20 am »
I cut a number of those puzzles last year and gave them away as  Christmas presents.  I used 1/4" BB, tried 1/8" BB, but the thicker pieces are easier for kids to handle and more durable.  I painted with acrylics and finished with spray lacquer.  As long as you let the finish cure, no more smell, any finish bought in the US is non toxic.

I stacked cut three pieces at a time and used a #5 SR FD.  You could use a #3 but the larger blade makes the puzzle easier to fit together. (wider kerf)

Barry

Dawie

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:03:38 am »
All my puzzles are mainly cut 1/4" or thicker. I have never seen the type you show, I like the idea very much, where can I buy the pattern.

David

bigred7469

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »
All my puzzles are mainly cut 1/4" or thicker. I have never seen the type you show, I like the idea very much, where can I buy the pattern.

David

I got it from a scroll saw mag. I'll look tonight when I get home.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:19 pm »
Dawie - I've been look at that puzzle myself for this year.  The pattern is in
Scrollsaw Woodworkign & Crafts's Holiday Ornaments, Toys & Gifts [Vol. 2] now on the stands.
Louis Poparo designed "Creating a Multi-layer Farm Puzzle [Pg 46] Good Luck  -Brian

Dawie

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »
Dawie - I've been look at that puzzle myself for this year.  The pattern is in
Scrollsaw Woodworkign & Crafts's Holiday Ornaments, Toys & Gifts [Vol. 2] now on the stands.
Louis Poparo designed "Creating a Multi-layer Farm Puzzle [Pg 46] Good Luck  -Brian

One problem, in the Netherlands we cannot buy this mag, they stock nothing on scrolling. Anybody know if I can order it by mail?

David

SMF

Teknoromi