Author Topic: Height of saw  (Read 1988 times)

Wingnut

Height of saw
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:37 am »
Now that I know my saw's a top feeder I'm wondering what would be the best height for it?  It seems like I'd be bending over to set and tighten the blade in the holder.  How do you decide on a height that works for you?

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Height of saw
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »
That is why I personally bought the "EasyLift" and continue to be a 'bottom feeder'! Plus a couple other health and body conditions that limit the use of my right arm.
For about $28 I am happy.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »
Hey Wingnut, The height of the saw will be your choice depending on if you plan to sit or stand, and if sitting, what you will be sitting on. I use the DeWalt stand and I sit on a bar stool. The DeWalt stand allows me to raise the back leg up a couple of inches so the saw table is slanted down. this give better visibility of the workpiece and easy access to all the controls.
As far as height, you will have to experiment to see what is most comfortable to you.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »
See Wingnut, I told you so!  ;D   "Easy Lift" is what I couldn't remember. And I was off on the price too.  :'(
Oh well, I tried and  the important thing is that you got the information.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »
Thanks guys,  I'll look into that easy lift thing.  I'm gonna try the top feeding for awhile and see how I like it.  I'll have to get used to the saw one way or the other, might as well try to top feed the blade.  It might work for me too.   :)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:15 pm »
Hey Wingnut, I used to have one of those on my saw. I took it off and chucked it because it was just in my way!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:49 am »
I can recommend to have the stand for the saw high enough to be able to stand. That's easier when cutting big parts (pre cutting). Additional is a bar stool a great thing, you can decide if you sit or stand at the saw. Also tilt the saw a little bit to front, that's much simpler to work with (a 1" piece of scrap wood under the back will be just fine).

Arasmit

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:08 am »
Hi Wingnut,
I'm agree with dgman - try and see what position is most comfortable to you. Anyway take in your consideration a proper body mechanic. This is very important, the work shouldn't cause stiffness of neck and shoulders or low back pain. If yes, something is wrong; try to change your position, distance to the saw or height of the saw. Safety is always in first priority!
Take care!
Vitali. 

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:32:07 pm »
Hi all, I use the easy lift and love it.  A block of wood works well also. I also put two 2 x 4s under the back leg (lifting the back up about 4 inches).  My wood does not slide off of the table and it makes it comfortable in my neck and back too.  For the height of the saw I think it works well that my elbows are bent even to the table, then I am not hunching my shoulders or leaning over.  Hope this helps.

SMF

Teknoromi