Author Topic: Holding the top arm up.  (Read 1566 times)

Wingnut

Holding the top arm up.
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:05:09 pm »
I was wondering how to hold the top arm up on my new 788 when I'm trying to thread the blade through the hole from the bottom of a work piece?  I've been using an old saw for so long it has been habit just to swing the top arm out of the way.  Now I can't do that.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Holding the top arm up.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:04:12 am »
Wingnut, You Have a saw that is designed for top feeding! It is so easy to top feed on this saw! Release the bottom clamp. With one hand, Raise the top arm. With the other hand, move the work over to the next hole. while holding the top arm up, line up the blade with the hole and lower the arm. Takes me about five seconds to do!
If your set on bottom feeding, there is an aftermarket device to hold the arm up. Try this: www.jimdandy.com
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:55:30 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:25 am »
 :o   Oh,  OK.   I didn't know that it was a top feed saw.  I did think about trying to feed from the top, but since I'd been feeding from the bottom for for all these years I thought it wouldn't/couldn't be done easily.  Thanks dgman

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »
There is also an aftermarket attachment that can be had for the 788. It is an arm that bolts on the right side of the upper arm and has a spring for a counter balance attached to the rear of the saw.
I forgot the name of the company that sells it but, I think it sells for around $20.00. I'm sure someone else will be along any give you more and better information. Personally, I copied the idea and made mine myself.
Check out some of Steve Good's earlier videos and he tells about it and shows how it is installed and works.
I am a "top feeder" myself and can not figure out how the bottom feeders can fumble and feel their way around to get the blade aligned and tightened with any ease. That is just me and what ever works for you is the way to fly (or saw in this case ;D).

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:31:12 pm »
Wingnut, I've had the 788 saw, and found it easy enough to use it for either top or bottom feeding.. your choice there.  I started out placing a block of wood under the top arm to hold it up when I needed, but later installed the EZ Lift system which worked fine for me.  No more wood block.  Today I prefer to bottom feed, but it's my choice, not dictated by the saw.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

SMF

Teknoromi