Author Topic: Blade size  (Read 2379 times)

peterjf50

Blade size
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:18:32 am »
Question:  I notice that in every post (well most) and tutorial people are saying they are using size #3 or #5 blades.  I am finding that with those two sizes I have a lot of trouble with them actually turning too quickly and such.  #7 blades I have no trouble, do you think it is just not enough practice?

Any one else using #7's ?

Also, if I can be a pain (trust me I can be a pain when I am trying to learn something new, very competitive! )

What size dril are people using to make a starter hole when all you are cutting is a line (not cuttingout a piece but a highlight line) ?

Thank you in advance!

Mainewoods

Re: Blade size
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:01 am »
For me, it boils down to how thick the wood is and how tight do I need to make my turns.  I generally don't use anything bigger than #5 because I'm not cutting anything really thick (usually 1/4" to 1/2").  If I'm cutting 1/8", I'll go all the way down to a 2/0.  I'll use a number 7 blade if I have to make long straight cuts, because a larger blade will track better on a straight line.

As for hole drilling for veining cuts (highlights), it depends on the size of the blade I'm using.  For any application like this, use the smallest bit the blade will fit through.  If there's waste material coming out, I use a larger bit to make it easier to thread the blade through (especially since I'm a bottom feeder! ;)

This is one of those areas where experience and personal preference reign!  Do what works best for you!

My 2 cents.  I'm sure others will chime in! 

Good Luck,  MW

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:04:38 am »
You are right, Peter.  It is a matter of practice.  You should be able to use a 3 or 5 on 3/4" wood with no problem.  As far as bit size, the smallest you can use and still get your blade through for veining or as small as the width of the cut you need to make.  I believe you can get a pin chuck and as small as a #71 through Mike's workshop.  Good luck and keep practicing.  It will come.

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:15:58 am »
Peter, use more blade tension. Especially with FD blades I have noticed to use more blade tension to get them straight. Olsen likes less tension.

My rule for the blades: as small as needed, but as big as possible.
Also often the wood gives you a limit: The finer the grain, the smaller the blade. A fine blade is more likely to follow the grain.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:42:59 am »
Besides drilling the smallest hole possable for the blade when veining, I suggest that you drill the hole near the midle of the line to be cut and then cut each way from there. The wider area where the hole is (near the center) is not nerly as noticable as it is on or near the end of the vein.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:09 am »
Hey Peter, All good information given. I like to use the smallest blade that will do the job. The smaller the blade, the cleaner the cut. The cleaner the cut, the less sanding necessary. One of the things I teach my students is how to eliminate as much sanding as possible. Using the smallest blade will help with that. On the other hand, if the smaller blade is not cutting it, go with a larger blade.
It is a matter of what works for you. So experiment and keep practicing!
Dan In Southern California

peterjf50

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:21:09 pm »
thanks for the input!

Did some practice cuts today and I think part of my problem is when cutting thin stuff (1/4" or less) the blade cuts faster then I am ready for!  LOL

Getting old reflexes cant keep up with the machine!

Bought the Porter Cable saw from lowes and liking it so far, keeping the blades tightened in the clamps is a pain but.

Then I just found a craftsman 137-216010 looks like the same machine on Craigslist for $50 so bought it and now figure out if keep 2 or take the porter back

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »
Peter, from what I have heard, it might be a good idea to have a spare saw on hand.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »
I agree with Dan!

If you can afford it keep them both.
No telling how long that Craftsman will last.
I had one for 18months and sold it when I got my DeWalt.
It lasted exactly 3 days after I sold it!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:08 pm »
keep both saws! you need to have a collection!

sometimes cutting one 1/4" piece is more difficult then a thicker stack. I tend to have to slow the saw down if I am cutting thin.

as for the drill bits, I use as small as I can for all my holes. I find that I get less tear-out on the back side from smaller bits. My husband was at harbor freight and found an assortment pack of mini drill bits. The quality isn't super wonderful, but when using tiny bits I tend to break them before I dull them. There are some in the pack that are ridiculously small, but they are fun to show off.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »
I have been using  Olsen blades for about 2 years now I've been usin #3 and number #5   for some reason when I go to a larger blades it hard to stay on the lines for me.  how ever some many people on here give me lot of crap me getting the FD blades i did got two number #3 blade from mike. they are ok but olsen is better.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:59 pm »
I think blade brands and sizes is a matter of personal preference. I use both Olsen and Flying Dutchman blades because no blade does everything I need. I like FD blades because the are so much sharper and last a lot longer. But some times they are to aggressive to do very fine detail, so that's when I switch over to Olsen's. I also quite often change blade sizes in a project to suite the need at the time.
So I stock many different sizes and blade types from both brands.

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 02:17:16 pm »
I think it's also good to get used to a blade - it's good to use only 3-4 different blades.
Get to know them and try to use them at their full possibilities.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »
Well Torsten, like I said, It's a matter of personal preference.

SMF

Teknoromi