Author Topic: My saw quit!  (Read 1643 times)

bugg

My saw quit!
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:40:25 am »
I use a dewalt 788 saw.  The other day my saw just quit between one cut and the next!  There were no warning signs at all.  It was working just fine then i moved on to the next cut, tightened the tension, turned on the saw and nothing happened.  i have checked the fuse, and the brushes and both are fine.  anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?  the saw is about two years old and has not been a problem til now. 

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: My saw quit!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:54:53 am »
Usually when that happens it is a switch problem.  You can try to take the switch housing off and making sure that it is clean and the connections good but they have been known to just 'die' on these saws.  They aren't expensive to replace (around $10) and you can get them at any DeWalt service center that is by you.  Try looking into that and see if you think that is the cause.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:43:48 am »
Yes, open the switch. Be careful - electricity is able to make you look dumb!
The switch is most times a self holding relay where more than one contact is involved.

Also check the jacks, sometimes they get loose due to vibration.

bugg

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:33 am »
Thanks, i will check out the switch and hope it is not something more expensive!  lol

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:27 am »
Try blowing the switch out with compressed air. What happens with the switch is saw dust get inside and gets between the contacts. If blowing it out does not work, It can be removed and taken apart to clean. Try the compressed air first. I will give instructions to clean out the switch latter if you need it.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:38 pm »
And did we mention the chance to use a foot switch instead?

bugg

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »
ok so i opened up the switch housing now can someone tell me how to tell if that is the problem?  i don't see anything obviously wrong in there. but would it be obvious?  also what is this about a foot pedal?

msdameng

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:12:37 pm »
It is probably not going to be obvious, but as stated dust will cause the switch to not work when it gets on the contacts.  If you don't have an air compressor to blow the switch out, I would suggest going to an office supply store and getting a can of the compressed air duster like you use for keyboards to blow it out.  To avoid this problem, a lot of people leave the saw switch in the on position and connect the saw to a foot switch to turn it off/on.  Just GOOGLE foot switch and a lot of different ones will pop up.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:30 pm »
At least it didn't blow a main bearing like mine did, I had it repaired and now it vibrates when used at a higher speed, generally the switches can be dismantled  and cleaned and if so it is advisable if you don't the the contacts burn out
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:24:28 pm »
Connect the jacks so the switch is no more in line.
If the saw runs then it's the switch which was not working.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 01:45:30 am »
This happened to me once and now I'm not being smart but have you checked the side of the saw to make sure the plug is still in properly.  I sat next to mine very sad and had to wait for my husband to come home and he came and stood next to the saw and pushed the plug into the wall socket and then pushed the other end into the machine and away it went.  Did I feel an idiot or what.  So as I say I'm not being smart but just check anyway.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 04:28:10 am »
*lol* did you unplugged the saw for the vacuum?

bugg

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:52:50 am »
thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone:) i will check it out and see what i can find out.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:12 am »
Once you get it up and running again, you can get a foot switch that allows the saw to run as long as you hold the switch down, sometimes called a dead man switch.
I have one from Harbor Freight I got for $10, actually $9.99, they market 2 foot switches the other switch turns on with a push, then you have to push it again to turn it off. It's about 2 bucks more.
I prefer the first one, if a blade breaks or anything like that you will automatically take your foot off the switch by reflex. Good safety feature. The model number is 96619 for the dead man switch.
and 96618 for the push on push off switch. These are not dust proof switches or water proof either. Occasionally if you have a lot of debris on the floor it can block the switch. I have a gravel floor where I work, and it sometimes gets in, I just tip it up on it's nose and tap it a bit and back to work!
Hope this helps,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

bugg

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 10:23:33 pm »
thanks again everyone, i got someone to check it out and it is the switch.  i will be ordering a new one tomorrow and should be back in business just in time for my first craft bazaar of the season!

SMF

Teknoromi