Author Topic: Am I crazy or what?  (Read 2933 times)

ChasZ

Am I crazy or what?
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:25:25 pm »
Hello everybody.

What a great site this is.  I have to tell you, I am completely new.  And I mean NEW.  I have never used a scroll saw, but I am excited to start.  I hate to be a needy person, but, I will need all of the help I can get.  There are excellent tutorial videos on this site, I have watched every one of them. 

I am over 60 years old, so I don't know if it is too late for me to pick up a new craft.  But I do think that I am a quick learner.  I am especially excited to start learning how to work with acrylic material.  The first video that I saw was the making of the name 'Steve' out of an acrylic block - that's what got me interested.  It was fascinating.

I have to ask, have any one of you been able to make some extra money with your craft?  I don't mean to get rich, but I sure could use an extra $500 a month.  Do you think that it is possible?  Also, in just getting started, what is the best place to get reasonably priced tools and materials?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Am I crazy or what?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »
Hey ChasZ, welcome to the forum. I'm Dan from Southern California. Come on in and join the fun.
Yes, there are a few folks here who make money in this hobby. I sell a little, but not much. If your looking for production work, you need a good saw. The least you would want to go with is a DeWalt 788. I think the next step up would be an Excalibur EX21. These two would be the ones I would recommend. You might consider going with a less expensive saw to see if you are going to like it.
You can get started with just a scroll saw, but before you know it you will be wanting a drill press, A table saw and then some sanders.
I could go on and on, but start with a scroll saw, and see if you like it.
You can buy new, or start looking on Craig's list. You might find a nice used machine.
Good luck!
Dan In Southern California

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:32:26 pm »
Hi ChasZ I am Chachi from Texas and when I started out I bought a cheap saw to see If I would stick withit I do Jigsaw work so I wanted a change well lets just say I wish I would have went with the Dewalt 788 right off Cause I am so into the  addic......... ummmmm into the Hobby Yeah thats it Hobby it is a great way to relax and have fun But I will say this much Dan is right Start with the scroll saw then work your way up cause I am now wanting a drill press and sanders and a ban saw. I will pass on a tid bit of info to you to start you off when Steve or anyone put's up a pattern save to a file folder on your desk top then inside of that break it down into other file folders By catagory that way you can find them when you want to do one and Be sure to join Steves e-mail list to get a new PAttern when he sends them out and always resize them to 100% before printing and leave the Copy right stuff alone other then that have fun and enjoy the addic........GRRRR! Hobby yes yes The Hobby.....

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »
A word or two to add, don't buy some off brand because it's cheap, you get what you pay for especially in power tools, most of them are now being built in China or other cheap labor countries. Even DeWalt which I understand was bought out by Delta and then went to China. For flexibility get one with variable speed and designed to use plain end blades. The pinned blades won't go through a small hole for inside cuts. Old power tools become obsolete and hard to find parts for. If you see something interesting ask the folks here in the forum for pros and cons, they will usually have good info for you. Be sure to include make and model if you can find it. Makes it easier all around. Don't get in a hurry!
Good luck. Oh I'm 69 and just started this year so I'd say you're not too old!
Welcome aboard,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:42 am »
Hi ChasZ welcome.  I'm Marg from Australia. Be prepared for the addiction to begin because that is what scrolling is.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Chachi

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:53 am »
SHHHHHH!!!!! Marg it is not an addiction remember we coved this already for the noobies it is a hobby not an addiction lol

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:27 am »
Welcome!

You, some (or most?) of us sell also some. Some are pattern creators, some do the wood work.

Where do you live?

Torsten from Munich, Germany

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:03 am »
welcome aboard, i'm Todd from Newfoundland Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
Hey ChasZ, welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas and no - you are not crazy!!!  i started scrolling about 10 years ago for extra income.  I was a single mom with 2 kids in college.  I now scroll full time and do quite well.  I started on a Dremel and now use an Excalibur EX21.  It doesn't matter what saw you use - I have seen some amazing projects done on the worst saws and have been totally amazed at the outcome.  A better saw does make it easier. 
  As far as supplies and materials - do not buy your blades from the hardware store.  They are the very bottom of the line and way more expensive that good blades from a good supplier.  I get Flying Dutchman blades from Mikes workshop and Olsen blades from Seyco.  Mike has a variety pack that will give you a good selection of the most common blades.  It will give you a chance to see what you like.  Very reasonable and quick shipping.
  Get on the mailing lists for Wildwood designs, Scroller, Winfield, Sherwood, etc.  Also, get on Sheila Landry designs and scrollsaw artist e-mail lists.  It will give you a ton of ideas.  There are many sites to get free patterns.
Above all, feel free to ask as many questions as necessary.  There are great people here who are eager to help.

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:30:01 am »
Welcome to the group.  As you can see there are a lot of informative people in this form.  All  you need to do is ask
Jim

ChasZ

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:46 am »
Wow!  You people are great.  I never expected to get so many good suggestions.  Thank you very much.  I'm on my way to making sawdust. 

Sorry I didn't include too much about myself.  I'm from a little town in southern Illinois - Harrisburg.  Not much to do here in the way of work.  My wife and I have a small cleaning business (just two accounts).  And I'm getting to the point where I'm either going to have to figure out how to attach a vacuum to the front of a walker, or find another way to make some sort of income.

I do a lot of volunteer work, but I also have quite a bit of extra time on my hands.  That's always been my problem.  I have always either had extra time, or extra money, but never the two together. 

Thank you again for your suggestions on the tools to buy.  And I don't know if this is the right place in the forum to ask, but, after I try my hand at this craft/hobby/addiction, I will want some good ideas on how to turn it into cash.  However, I've seen several patterns that I just want to make for the fun of it and to give to my friends.

Chachi

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:02 pm »
Well ChasZ That is how you start it out you give to family and frinds with a Bizzness card and tell them (much like a drug dealer) the first one is free the next one you pay for..... Just kidding But for real what you do is tell them that you do work on commission so if they or their friends would liek something to let you know you will see what you can do about it then show them a set of patterns and allow them to choose something or ask them what it is they are looking for and if you can do it or not then talk price on anything I put a name on I charge half down that way I am sure they will pick it up and I have no worries about trying to find someone with the same name to sell it to now things like mom dad sis brother those I have no worries on.
  Now you wanna go and get alot of black printer ink and some file folders with a file box or cabinet to keep all of the patterns in (TRUST ME) plus you will want a three ring binder with clear file pages in it so you can show your friends and family the patterns that you have to offer. I bought mine at Wal-Mart and I put my Bizzness name on the front and broke down the patterns inside by catagory and from there a list of the Personal ones I have to offer. As well You will need to go to a font site and start downloading fonts this way you can change them ito something the folks want. for a little extra fee of course I tell them 10 cents a ltter ,Personal however that is in the price I quote them they get to choose what font they would and where they would like it to be placed.... But I won't say you will make 500 dollars extra each month but you do need to figure out the cost of the wood and supplies long before you figure out profit and that volenteer work that you do Great way to get your name out there so Take these helpful hints and talk to some of the others on here to get more tips I warn you now though it is fun to do but you will not become rich by any means so just enjoy the ride and when you make the extra money think of it this way it is dollar amount you didn't have or count on so now go by a new tool or new blades or some wood lol Most of all though Have fun cause when you turn your hobby into a bizzness the fun is gone for good.
 Oh PS the place to put this kind of thing is in the general area 

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 08:14:49 am »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

UHMNL

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 10:55:03 am »
Welcome ChasZ,
Go to my web site and click on Selecting a Blade and Q & A. It gives you am idea how to start. It takes some practice but before you know it, you will be hooked.
www.mikesworkshop.com.
Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »
You are not crazy....unless the world considers the 1,800 people here crazy!
We are a group that will support each and every person who finds this forum and contributes by being a scroller! That is all we ask, that you do scroll work and want to to more and do it better.

Frankly, as far as adding to your income, I am not certain that that will happen but you will have a good time and learn a great hobby!

I am due west of you in St. Peters, MO and I started this hobby 5 years ago at 69! So you are not too late and we will help you in any way we can BUT do not jump in and have the impression that you will get rich 'making sawdust'. It takes a lot of time, effort and even money to amass the inventory to do 'craft shows' and the public is very fickle...what you display this year may  be exactly what will sell next year or sold last year.

Sorry if I popped your bubble but I want to give you a realistic outlook on this great hobby.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi