Author Topic: RIT dyes  (Read 2414 times)

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
RIT dyes
« on: August 06, 2011, 06:58:02 am »
I am considering dyeing some wood in projects for effect.  I know there are several wood-dyes, but has anyone used RIT dyes?  I remember seeing something about these awhile ago in one (or both) of the magazines, but those at home and I won't be for a little while.

If you have used them - were they easy to use?  Less expensive than wood-dyes? (RIT liquid dyes are running around $4 for 8 ounces, $2.50 for 1.5 oz. powder online at the moment), easy to use?  easier/harder than wood-dyes?
Thanks,
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: RIT dyes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:51:39 am »
Cathy, I have not used RIT dyes but one important thing to consider is the dye is mixed with water, which means it will raise the wood grain.
Dan In Southern California

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »
Hey Cathy, I know blood works as a die  ::), I bet the RIT would work well too. I've never heard of anybody using it, it will raise the grain, but all water based stains will, sounds to me like it's time to experiment!

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:14:25 pm »
I have used food coloring mixed with water and it worked just fine.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
Mix the Rit with denatured alcohol it will dry faster and will not raise the wood grain nearly as much as water.  Do not boil the alcohol like you would water before mixing the dye.  It may flame up on you.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:31:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, especially the warnings.  I have casually looked for liquid food coloring over the last year and haven't found any.  Now I am glad.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »
I have used regular food coloring mixed with water (about 1 little bottle to a cup of water) I used it on some christmas ornaments and they turned out well. The red was a little pink.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:56:35 am »
You should be able to find food coloring at your local grocery store. Hummm food store, food coloring, who'd a thunk it?
Just couldn't resist Cathy.
Sorry. Nah  ;D ;D ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Vince

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:05:30 am »
     I have used "Rit dye" a LOT. I use the powder. I place it in a Cat litter container, the one it comes in from the store. (Use the then empty container) Dump the power in the container and fill with "HOT" tap water. I make Roses, the cut pedals I place in a plastic container, that did hold cut up fruit. When this container is filled, it holds about 750 - 900 pedals. Let that sit over night - turning upside down now and then. I dump the dye back into the large container and spread the petals on a piece of plywood out in the sun to dry. Footnote: the wood you dry on become a work of art - LOL

Vince
Winter Park, Florida

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:10 pm »
vince, how many roses does 900 petals make?

Vince

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
MRSN: It makes 36 roses, more of less. ( More info coming as soon as I get my mind and computer working at the same speed - LOL )

Vince

SMF

Teknoromi