Author Topic: Front to Back Alignment on Dewalt DW788/ Delta 40-690  (Read 5097 times)

msdameng

Front to Back Alignment on Dewalt DW788/ Delta 40-690
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:55 am »
As discussed in a previous post (http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=5626.0)
I believe the best way to correct the front to back alignment in the Dewalt Scroll saw is to
remove the bolt from the rear bracket and raise the back of the table up.  The table can
be raised enough to correct the aligment with negatively affecting the saw in any way. (i.e. no bored
out holes, no reduction in the thickness of wood you can cut with the saw)   I finally decided
that the best solution to this problem was to make my own rear bracket that is slotted on the side so that the table can be adjusted up and down.  I have attached a plan I drew based on the dimensions of the original bracket.  The only difference is the sides are slightly longer and slotted.
The pin in the factory bracket is exactly 3/8" in diameter so I used a 3/8" dowel to replace the pin.
Also, the sides of the bracket are slightly thicker in my design so you may want to consider purchasing a longer bolt.  I have mine attached with the factory bolt right now, but it is not long enough that the entire nut is threaded onto the bolt.  Mine was made with 1/2" thick walnut and is working great so far.

Offline kimb

• View Profile
Re: Front to Back Alignment on Dewalt DW788/ Delta 40-690
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
Did that fix the problem? I have already removed the lower blade holder assembly and slotted the holes so I could move the assembly forward and that helped alot, but it still moves too much. I have been thinking about raising the back of the table, but I haven't tried it yet. If this works, then I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Kim

msdameng

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:13:24 pm »
This worked great for me!  It cuts like a totally different saw and I have much more control.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
What I did with mine is I took out the bracket mounting bolt and clamped the bracket in place with a clamp after setting the blade square, front to back. I did this as a temporary fix to see if it really mattered.
It's been a couple of months, and I don't see much difference. I think I may reinstall it back to normal, and see how it cuts.
Dan In Southern California

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »
I remember you saying you did that Dan and wondered if it helped. I think I'll play with mine a little bit and see if I can can help it any.

Kim

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »
I Guess my front to back movement was not that bad, as I didn't have much of a problem cutting. I did this just out of curiosity. I am going to set it back just to see if there is any difference.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi