Author Topic: Bird of Paradise Clock  (Read 2204 times)

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
Bird of Paradise Clock
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »
I have bought the plans for Clayton Boyers Bird of Paradise Clock, anyone ever built one of these things, I am not very fond of it, aesthetically, but it seems a worthy challenge and any advice woud be welcome. Looking through the U Tube Vidio, makes me think I need to buy a CNC router to cut the cogs.     LOL Iggy. P S I am still new here, and you guys have been GGGGRRRREEEEAAAATTTT. Thanks. ;D
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Bird of Paradise Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »
Yes, I have built one of Clayton Boyer's clocks. Just this spring he had the plans for a wooden gear clock in the issue of "Scroll Saw" magazine that I built. And I am planning on making another one this winter I hope.
Don't be afraid of the wheels (gears) they are not too bad to cut.
Do read ALL of the instructions and follow them using the proper woods and parts. Short cuts don't help. DAMHIK
The hardest part for me was rounding up all the extra (non wooden) parts and pieces. (Especially getting the weigh and cord as indicated.)
I spent about a day cutting all the wooden parts, three days shopping and buying the non wooden pieces,  two days on assembly, two weeks getting everything to work all together at once and two months timing it.   
It was fun though. And it is setting in my shop ticking away as I type this. Remembering to wind it everyday sometime slips my mind though.
Mine has given me some trouble as far as breaking but, not too bad. I just recently had to re build the winding mechanism due to a plywood delamination. (re-gluing didn't work)
Don't be afraid of it. Just take your time and have fun . It is very rewarding when you get it running and hear that "TICK TICK TICK".

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:05:23 am »
               Thanks for the tips Rog, I am wondering about cutting the frame out of timber, but cogs from ply, I am aware of the stability of ply for the cogs but wonder about the wisdom of building the frame from some exotic timber. It may be prudent to roughly cut the frame and leave it for a couple of years in the envioment of its final resting place before putting it togeather. Or sod it, do it all in ply and rely on the Air Brush to age it!!!
                I think you are spot on about getting the bits, we have gone all metric over here in England and I recently had a problem getting hold of some imperial threaded rod for Matthias Wandel's Screw Advance Finger Joint Jig. (that man has a fantastic brain.)
                Thanks again Iggy

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:01 am »
Definitely do the wheels (cogs) from the best (most lamination's) plywood you can get. It shouldn't warp crack or break like solid wood would.
 As far as the frame, do what ever you want to. I uses ply on mine but, if you look, I'll bet one of the mounting holes (in the plan)  is slotted for movement and for leveling when mounting. On the clock I built, it must be level to work properly and can be adjusted for that on one of the mounting holes that is slotted in an arc. I don't think using solid wood really make much difference even with drying or humidity.
HTH

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:21:53 pm »
Thanks Rog I must admit i didn't notice the slot, I know what you are saying and will do it in english Oak, I have had some in the garage for a couple of years.
Iggy.

SMF

Teknoromi