Author Topic: Baltic Birch question...  (Read 1033 times)

CNLNC

Baltic Birch question...
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »
There is a lumber supplier near where I work where I can purchase BB at a considerable discount (about half for what I pay for through Sloan's). They sell BB in the 5 X 5 sheets in the different thicknesses I like. My question is, is there a way to know what grade it is on my own (i.e. B/BB)? Is it simply looking at the BB for any imperfections? Or do I just take the suppliers word for it regarding what grade it is?

So far I really like the quality of the BB I have gotten from Sloan's, but if I can get the same stuff at 40-50% off, with no shipping, I would jump on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

marmoh

Re: Baltic Birch question...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:02:29 am »
If it's not out of your way to go to the supplier, why not buy one or two sheets and see how it works ??
If it turns out not to be what you were hoping for you could always use it for backer board ?? 

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:16:06 am »
I have never bought a full sheet of Baltic birch plywood, but I believe the full sheet will have a grade stamp on it. Typically, the best grade, B/BB will have a few football shaped plugs on the back side. The lower grades will have plugs on both sides. I would check them out in person and see what they stock.
Dan In Southern California

CNLNC

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:28:19 am »
@ Dan...Thanks. I wasn't sure if B/BB was suppose to have any football plugs in it or not. I'll go back and look at the wood again to see where the football plugs are, and look for the grade stamp.

@Marmoh...good idea, I just didn't want to be in the middle of a project and then discover that the wood wasn't holding up because it was a lower grade, i.e. voids, etc, and then have the project ruined. I'll keep the backer idea in mind though.

Thanks to you both for the input. ;D

Joesawdust

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »
Some of the Baltic birch I've seen at home centers and such, does not have a wood core, it is some type of MDF material, similar to the hardwood plywoods that most suppliers carry. The BB from Sloan's has always been solid wood layers, no filler, and to me that is worth the extra. Check to see what kind of core it has, if it's wood then buy some and try it.

Greg

Terry Jackson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:06:14 am »
I buy it in sheets and yes, they are 5'x5'.  There are no grade stamps.  Both sides are smooth, one has a few footballs.  Last year the price was $25 a sheet in 1/8 and 1/4.  I usually get 5 or more at a time.

Have a look at the sheets before you buy them, most suppliers will take you out and show you what they have.  Now grade does not matter, once you see it you can decide if you can use it.

Best wishes for success.
Terry

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:52:57 am »
I also have a supplier close to me that carries 5x5 sheets. They usually run less than 20.00. I have been using it for years and have not had any problems. The ones I get are not stamped with a grade. They do have a few footballs on the back but I can work around them.

SMF

Teknoromi