Author Topic: A question about technique.  (Read 2958 times)

cgswss

A question about technique.
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:24 am »
A question about technique.

I have a hard time with tight corners.  I have going down to very small blades in order to try to cut those small corners.  In fact, the largest blades I have are number 2s and most are smaller.  I was wondering if it's possible to have too small of a blade and that tiny blade deflecting so much that it can't cut a sharp corner?  Most of my cutting is in eighth inch or quarter inch plywood.

I have a 16 inch Delta saw.  I get a nice clear ping out of my blades when I pluck them so I think my tension is good.  If I tighten my tension anymore I get a god awful knocking sound.  The sound is like the arm bottoming out on metal or something.

The way I am cutting is to glue the pattern to the wood with spray adhesive.  Then I cover that with clear packing tape.  I drill all my holes for interior cuts on my drill press.  Then I start by cutting the smallest inside cuts first so they get the sharpest blade.  I get very jealous watching Steve cut in his videos were it seems like he just throws yhe wood around and cuts the finest interior curves.

I also have a problem cutting straight lines.  When I cut a straight line  I cannot feed straight into the blade.  If I do the cut will wander off to the left.  So when cutting straight lines.  It looks like I'm trying to cut to the right.  All the blades I m using our premium blades (Olson).  I have actually had very good results using a crown tooth blade in thin plywood.  But the crown tooth blade cuts very slowly.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks Craig

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: A question about technique.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:09 am »
Hey Craig,  The platinum Olson blades are fine.  But all blades have a little bur on one side and noone can cut a straight line by feeding the wood in straight.  We all do it at an angle.  Nothing wrong with what you are doing.  You are attaching your pattern right, wrapping right.  Practice, practice, practice.  There is an excellent video at www.sheilalandrydesigns.com on one of her candle trays.  There are many tight turns on the pattern she is doing and it is a great example on how to make those turns nice and crisp.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:38:58 am »
when I make a straight cut I also cut to an angle.
it helps to get a nice smooth cut, so do it all at once. Don't stop if you get off the line just slowly get back to the line. The overall apperiance will be more noticeably un straight if you start and stop then if you cut it all at once even if there is a wave to the line. It help me to look about an inch infront of the blade and focus on keeping that lined up, not worrying about the rest of the cut.

yankeebum2

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:43:01 am »
Your preparation is good, agrees it's just practice that's needed. Imagine driving a car. To drive straight you are always moving the wheel slightly left and slightly right. I've only been scrolling for a year and have learned a lot. Still got tons more to learn.
Steve

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:58:17 am »
Craig, One tip I can give you on making a clean, sharp inside corner. Cut into the corner just slightly past the line. Back the blade out about an inch. Turn the wood 180 degrees so the blade is cutting into the waste side. Back into the corner with the back side of the blade. Once the back of the blade is into the corner, Turn the wood into to the next line. This will give you a very sharp corner!
Dan In Southern California

marmoh

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:51 am »
Julief,  I have been to Sheila's site before but totally missed the video section.  Thanks for the heads up as watching her cut I have gained more knowledge on how to improve on the corners.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:47:27 am »
I've been cutting for many years and really enjoyed that video.  It is so much easier to see it than to explain it.  I feel it is one of the best examples I have seen.  I sure wish some of this was around when I started. 

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »
I cant seem to find the video section?
Jim

marmoh

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:23:29 pm »
Go to the web site ... go to free stuff (my favorite words) at the top ... then go down to instructional videos ... the 4th video down ....

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:34 am »
Thanks Marion.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi