Author Topic: Puzzle Blades  (Read 1820 times)

ShadowB6

Puzzle Blades
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:21:00 am »
Today I tried for the 1st time to make some 4x6 puzzles. Using the Flying Dutchman Superior Puzzle Blades, I started. It was like these blades had a mind of their own. I found I had very little control of path that they cut and I couldn't stay on the pattern lines. I adjusted the tension several times and did the same for the speed. Tried 2 seperate blades. I was cutting 1/4" baltic birch and had a stack of 4. After cutting 3 puzzle pieces I switched to a #1 scroll reverse blade and had no trouble. Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? When feeding the wood with the puzzle blade, I was travelling almost in a 45 degree angle (pushing right to left), which makes cutting almost impossible.

Mike

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Puzzle Blades
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:35 am »
I am not sure, but the stack may have been too thick. Puzzle blades are pretty thin, and as a general rule thinner blades work better on a thinner stack. You might try cutting a single piece of 1/4 ply and see if it helps at all.
MrsN

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:04:39 am »
I have found that problem with the puzzle blade as well even on thinner lumber
Jimbo

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:56:54 am »
It's not you.  I had the same problem with the superior puzzle blade.  Solved it the same way you did.  Changed to a #1 Reverse.

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:02:14 pm »
I finally got the hang of the puzzle blades and 1/4" plywood.  The trick is getting the tension right (not as tight as most blades) and really slow speed.  I found that using reverse-tooth blades and 1/4" plywood tended to kind of lift the edges of the puzzle "picture". 
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

SMF

Teknoromi