Author Topic: Dull, bent,burned and broken blades.  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Dull, bent,burned and broken blades.
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:23 pm »
What do YOU do with them?
This is a subject that I have never seen on this site.
As you know, old, worn out.dull, broken blades can be sharp, very sharp if you get poked or stabbed with one. So how do you handle this problem? If you put your trash in a plastic garbage bag don't put them in the trash can. If you don't get poked maybe someone else will!
OK, I'll tell you what I do with them. I use an old peanut can (or a coffee can) near my saw and as the blade is used up in one way or another it gets tossed in the "dead can" and the top put back on (in case of a spill) and then can be disposed of, can and all, in my regular trash at a later date.
I don't do as much cutting as allot of you guys but, I'm guessing that it will be a long while before you fill that can with 1/16" strips of steel and mean time you will save yourself and others from allot of "band aides", "ouches" and "cussin" not to mention anyone else that might come in contact with those worn out, rusty, broken old blades.
Stay safe and I hope this helps and keeps some one from saying "DOG GONE IT!!!"

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Dull, bent,burned and broken blades.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:27 pm »
Good topic!
I've just been tossing them in a box under the table where all the little pieces and stripped off tape and patterns go, planned to just dump the whole thing and use another box when that's full.
Now that you mention it, I think I'll use an empty coffee can too, with a bail type handle from wire so I can just hang it handy right by me. An empty gallon paint can would work too. Too bad I just got rid of all I had. How's that line go about junk you threw away 3 weeks ago??
LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

cameronj

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »
I've been using an empty cardboard box for years.  I have it sitting beside my work table and in go all the small scraps of wood, broken or dull blades, and anything else that needs to be disposed of.

I keep the old blades that are too dull for cutting hardwoods, and then use them for cutting the 1/8" or 1/4" baltic birch that I have stacked together for cutting.  Once the blade is too dull for the ply, then it's trashed.
Jim

bluesuede

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:39 pm »
I have a large magnet from an old speaker that I just toss them to and after a while I will move them from there to an old peanut butter jar. The broken ones are put in a container and thrown in the garbage.
When I'm going to cut something that I know will ruin a new blade I just grab one of them. A good example of this was when I made a sanding mop, I used up a pile of those old blades in a hurry and was very glad that I had kept them...
Bruce ;D

Tako Kichi

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:21:19 pm »
A good example of this was when I made a sanding mop, I used up a pile of those old blades in a hurry and was very glad that I had kept them...
If you had a blunt pair of scissors around and used those to cut all the slits in your sanding mop by the time you were done you'd have had a nice sharp pair of scissors again!  ;) ;D

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:06:29 am »
I do like the OP but when the can is full I'll take it down to my local recycler instead of tossing it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:57:13 pm »
I put mine in a can, and then throw it into the recycle bin when it's full.  In the Seattle area we have three bins that are picked up each week.  Recycle, garbage, and yard waste.  The recycle bin is for paper, cardboard, plastic, glass and metals.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Chachi

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:57 am »
I use the "Lays Stax" chip can it's plastic and tall with a snap top lid on it so no way for it to come undone I also use it for all my Jigsaw blades when they get wore out but this is a great Idea thanks for the idea share.

ShadowB6

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »
I work in a large Hospital, and I received permission to take a sharps container for this purpose. Usually they're yellow in colour and hangs in all patients rooms. It is large enough that it will take forever to fill it with the small scroll blades. It also has a top that allows sharps to enter but they cannot come out. Once it is full, I will then bring it back to work where it will be burned in a hyrdaclave.

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi