Author Topic: My new EX-21  (Read 2416 times)

ShadowB6

My new EX-21
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:29:48 am »
After reading all the comments here on the forum and the plus's & minus's of each saw, I decided on the EX-21. I wrote to General Instruments and they recommended a place called Ottawa Fastener Supply here in Eastern Ontario. I wanted to purchase locally if possible for servicing later on if needed, and they do service the EX-21. So I bought the saw last Friday and spent the weekend on it. WOW, what a vast improvement over the Dremel 1800. Like going from an Oldsmobile to a Cadillac. The tilting head is amazing as well as there is absolutely zero front to back movement on the blade. The blade holders on each side is a nice feature also and I was able to utilize them as I had the test tubes already. Only thing I miss is the small LED light that the Dremel has. Other than that everything is great. Now I understand why all the positive comments the EX-21 receives here on the forum. Thanks everyone for helping to make my decision an easy one.

One strange thing however is that if I didn't take the stand and foot pedal (I already had them) the cost was $71 MORE. Not sure if I quite fully understand how the large tool companies run these promotions yet. It was a good purchasing experience and I just hope the saw lives up to its reputation.

Mike

CNLNC

Re: My new EX-21
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:03 pm »
Congratualtions on the new saw. Hopefully one day soon I can be in your shoes bragging about getting a new saw ;D.
About the light, I think most people on here have adapted a desk/shop light of some sort to there saw and working area. I know in my case, my new light is a definite improvement from the light that came mounted to the saw.
I'm sure some of the more seasoned members will have more to say and guide you in the right direction for a light source.
Again, Congrats.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:12:00 pm »
I have the 3 diopter magnifier light mounted to the upper arm of my EX21.  Couldn't do without it.  Congratulations on the new saw.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

RWEC

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »
Hi Mike

Congrats on the new saw. I'm in the Ottawa area as well. Ottawa Fasteners is a good supplier.

If you aren't aware of it there is also Marks Machinery in Carp. Guy runs the business out of his home, does General, King, others.

Also has used stuff. Good guy to talk with and buy from.

Randy

ShadowB6

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:26:26 am »
Hi Randy, yes I saw that Marks was a supplier but when I looked on his website, he didn't list as selling the Excalibur so that's when I contacted General Int. in Montreal and they pointed me to Ottawa Fastener's. Perhaps I should've called Marks but I did ask GI for someone that carried the saw in stock. Maybe Marks does not do that.

Julief, where did you get the light for the EX-21? Is it the one I see advertised by Seyco? Can you elaborate a bit?

Mike

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:26 am »
Yes, it is the one sold by Seyco.  I used to live about 10 minutes from his shop.  The reason it is expensive is that the on/off switch is not on the head.  It is on a magnetic base.  That keeps the excess weight off the light so there is vertually no vibration.  It does not have a mounting bracket to get in the way of things.  You simply take out the screw on the left side of your upper arm and reinsert a longer screw through the light base. 

ShadowB6

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:42:25 pm »
Thanks Julief for the extra info on the light. Perhaps I need to see one first before making that investment. It does seem to be a bit pricey for a light.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:57 am »
I also just got the Ex-21 from Seyco. I am still waiting on the light, as it was out of stock.  So far I love the saw and Ray has been just wonderful with getting it set up and stuff.  I can't wait to really get to use it a lot and I also love the way the head tilts on it so that when cutting on a bevel I don't have to hold the piece at an angle.  I cut all my candle trays on a bevel and this will help a lot.  Keep us posted as to what you think about it.  Congratulations on your purchase! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:04:01 am »
I'm so happy for you Sheila!!!  You will wonder how you ever held it at an angle before.  My spiral bowls, bevels and inlays went to a whole new level when I got my EX21.

Bill P

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:28 am »
The bevel cut with an EX is so good, you'll be amazed.  When I did my vase I didn't even have to sand, the bevels fit so nice.  That wasn't me, that was the saw!

Bill

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:00:43 am »
Especially with cutting circles at an angle.  I think it will be so much better!  I am really looking forward to seeing what I can come up with to make. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »
I have the EX21 on order from Ray but they are currently out of stock so I will be waiting another week or so.

ShadowB6

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 12:18:46 am »
Congrats Shelia & Steve on purchasing the EX21. I can't wait to do with mine what Julief does with her saw. I'll be tackling those tougher projects when I get a bit more accustomed to it.

The light however that she mentions sure has piqued my interest. Another question if I may. I've seen in 2 publications now that mentions a foot pedal that raises the top arm of the saw. Seyco used to sell it for the Excalibur years ago. Does anyone know if this accessory is still avalable and if so, how good is it?

Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:27:23 am »
That pedal was for the previous versions of the Excalibur designed and built by Summerville designs. that saw was built in Canada.
The current Excalibur is built by General International in Taiwan. The pedal will not work on the current version.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:29:38 am by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 07:04:21 am »
Congratulations Steve!!!!  You are going to love it.

SMF

Teknoromi