Author Topic: Bleaching maple  (Read 1340 times)

Bill P

Bleaching maple
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »
I'm going to be finishing the chess pieces up by this weekend, and I'm not convinced I've got enough contrast.  Is there a way of slightly bleaching the maple so there's more contrast, but I won't bleach out the subtle grain?

This picture shows some of the pieces.  I haven't done anything except cut them so far.

Bill

Tako Kichi

Re: Bleaching maple
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:20 pm »
I don't know whether you can get this in your area but they do a 'whitewash' stain that may be of use....

http://www.saman.ca/products/22-saman-water-based-stain

My local hardware store carries it and I am very interested in it but have not had chance to try it yet. It is water based so no nasty smells or chemicals and you can easily mix your own shades using the 'base' colours and their 'recipe' book (or you could just wing it and invent your own colour of course).

I like the ability to brew up almost any shade which would be great for some intarsia projects I have in my mind and it can be top coated with either water based or oil based varnishes.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:08 pm »
Hey Bill, Those look terrific! I don't know about bleaching the maple, but I would soak the dark pieces in an oil. This will darken them giving enough contrast between the maple and walnut. Don't oil the maple, just apply a topcoat.
That's what I would do!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:45:42 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »
Ol' Bill is now a Chess Master!

Great Job....and I agree with Dan, sand and top coat the maple and then soak the walnut in BLO mix and set em on the board!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »
First off, those turned out awesome!!!

As the 2 hero's have already stated, I think oiling the dark wood will really darken them up nicely. I used lemon oil on some Walnut and it darkened it up considerably.

Good Luck finishing the pieces, looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:06 pm »
Agreed!  Oil the walnut and just seal the maple.   :)

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
Okay, I'm convinced, seal the maple and oil/seal the walnut.

Thanks, Everyone!

Bill

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:04:44 am »
Bill I think you can "enhance" the white pieces by applying a thin wash of any latex or oil based white paint, and wipe of the excess immediately, so it's just barely on there, then seal it with a clear seal. if you leave the maple unfinished and it is handled much it's going to pick up skin oils and grime.
They used to finish cabinets that way and had a fancy name for it, but I disremember what it was called. Try it out on some of the scrap pieces left over. Wouldn't hurt!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:54:56 am »
Bill,  Those came out great.  I would go the other way.  I would use Watco Danish oil in Dark walnut for the dark pieces.  It would make them a little darker than just plain oil.  Before I did anything colorwise.  I would oil some scraps just to see how much contrast you will have without darkening or lightening the pieces.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:20 am »
Really nice work regardless of what finish you use!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi