Author Topic: portrait patterns  (Read 4025 times)

RWEC

portrait patterns
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »
I've done 1 portrait in the past but had help from a friend converting the picture to a usable black and white pattern.

I was looking at Steve's post today and downloaded the GIMP programme.

It was easy to use, I found the "Threshold" command area and it did what it was supposed to do but the picture I was working with still didn't make a usable pattern. It was either too dark or too washed out.

I suspect I need to adjust the picture before I try to convert it to a B&W pattern.

The question is how. I can cut the wood OK but my mind goes blank around computers.

Anybody have a hint about what I need to adjust and how to adjust the picture so the "threshold" adjustment works?

Thanks
Randy

Mainewoods

Re: portrait patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:46:16 pm »
Randy,

I not a  portrait expert, but I do have some experience with digital photography.  I can tell you that one thing that will help get you to a usable pattern is to start with a clear, well focused photo that has good contrast.  Fuzzy, blurry photos or those without enough contrast will be very hard to get anything decent from.  The threshold command makes a lot of use of the contrasts in the picture, and good sharp focus gives the software some good edges to work with.

Hope this helps

marmoh

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:02 pm »
I don't use threshold I use curves.  Then go to filters, artistic and photocopy.  I used the tutorials at Scroll Saw Village to learn how to use Gimp.

CNLNC

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »
Marmoh beat me to it, but yes, the other site has 8 or 9 on-line lessons on using GIMP to create patterns. It doesn't take to long to get through the lessons. It might help you.

marmoh

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:07 pm »
CNLNC are you saying great minds think alike ???  Marion

CNLNC

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:53:12 am »
I'd have to say yours is greater...since you beat me and all... ;D

marmoh

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:58:01 am »
Not greater ... just faster !!!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 05:36:17 pm »
Marion,
How about a link to the tutorials, I down loaded Gimp, but I can't seem to get the hang of it.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
Thanks Katie, I stumbled into his tutorials before but gave up as he kept repeating himself over and over, likes the sound of his own voice maybe?
I'm going to research the manual he talkes about to see if it works for me. If not I'll go back and check his program further.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:48:34 pm »
Thanks Randy for starting this thread. I too have been having troubles with Gimp when it comes to portrait patterns, but thanks to the wonderful people here, I was led to the Scroll saw Village videos and they have helped a lot. Yes the guy is a bit wordy at times, but the info is more than worth putting up with a few unnecessary words. Thanks Katie for posting the link.

Bob

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:46:47 am »
Thanks Randy for starting this thread. I too have been having troubles with Gimp when it comes to portrait patterns, but thanks to the wonderful people here, I was led to the Scroll saw Village videos and they have helped a lot. Yes the guy is a bit wordy at times, but the info is more than worth putting up with a few unnecessary words. Thanks Katie for posting the link.

Bob

Trouble is I was snoring and woke myself up. LOL
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

yankeebum2

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »
I too have watched the videos. I think thorough would be a better way of describing the video. I'm thankful to people like Steve and Travis(gimp tutorial). I want to learn how to make portrait patterns in the worst way(still got a LONG way to go). There are lots of people out there that are willing to help you for a cost. The videos were free and very informative in my opinion. Free and informative are a great option.

Steve

SMF

Teknoromi