Author Topic: Stack Cutting  (Read 3117 times)

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
Stack Cutting
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:40:46 pm »
When you stack cut, what do you hold the stack together with?  And how do you take the stack apart with out damaging the wood? 
Thanks for the help (in advance)
Jim

chief

Re: Stack Cutting
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:09:06 pm »
I have an old putty knife that the corners are rounded over and the front edge is rounded over so it doesnt gouge the wood.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »
generally I just tape around the edge with packing tape (or what ever tape I have on hand). To seperate the pieces I just slide a knife around to break the tape, since the middles are not joined there is little risk of breaking things when seperating the pieces.

ArtCrafters

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:23:46 pm »
Hi Jim,  I use double face tape.  As mentioned, be sure and tape only on the waste area.

Denny in TN

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:44 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I think for the first try I'll use packing tape since i have some.  Again thanks
Jim

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »
I use small nails in the waste area but at times I also use clear packaging tape.

Mike
Do your part - go green - save the earth

bluesuede

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:07:10 pm »
I use painters tape and then wrap the wood in packing tape. If the project is large and has lots of holes then I'll grab my staple gun and tack some of the bigger waste areas to help the middle to stay compact when cutting.
Bruce ;D

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:15:30 pm »
I use one of two methods. If I am doing portraits, I use packing tape along the edges.
If I am cutting things like ornaments where the project will be cut out of the stack, I use a hot glue gun to glue along the edges.  This keeps the stack nice and tight and you don't need three hands to apply.
Dan In Southern California

Bill P

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 05:55:10 pm »
I use little drops of glue in the waste areas.

Bill

cameronj

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »
I usually use tape at the corners and areas along the edges.  And I often use my nail gun in the waste areas at the corners to give that extra hold.
When finished, I cut through the waste so the finished pieces will drop out easily.
Jim

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:44 am »
I typically use tape so I don't waste all that "waste" wood.  There are nice pieces left over for projects later.  I know I have 3 boxes full of extra cut offs.   ;)
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02:17 am »
Dunc...I just rearranged my shop area and installed more storage shelves. Spent half a day sorting thru those 'three' boxes and got it down to only 1 1/2!
Had a nice wiener roast with the rest!
Cried the whole time!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

RWEC

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »
I usually use packing tape. Truss it up like a Christmas turkey.

If I'm cutting something thin ( delicate ) sometimes I sandwich it with 1/8" masonite and put the pattern on that. That way there is no tape, glue, pattern, anything to take off the good bits.

Learned that the hard way. Broke delicate pieces with my undelicate hands.

Randy

SMF

Teknoromi