Author Topic: any ideas about a simple picture stand  (Read 2158 times)

nwtaurus

any ideas about a simple picture stand
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
I have been making all kinds of scroll portraits, but having a hard time with coming up with the best, and quickest way to make stands for them. I have been selling to who ever wants a portrait, but having trouble in  making patterns, and stands for the costumer to have a choice, hang it,or put it on a shelf. Thank You Jerry 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas about a simple picture stand
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:58:36 am »
I am working on a prototype of a simple easel type stand to support portraits.
Any one who can draw it up as a pattern has my permission and will also have the undying gratitude of many scrollers if they will translate my words into an actual PLAN. (Steve take note!)

Take a piece of inexpensive wood (1/2" pine or poplar maybe) cut in shape of a "V" or "W".
At the ends of the letter drill holes for 1/4" dowels to be inserted.
Dowels to extend upward from the 'points' of the letter, short (3/4") at the bottom of the letter and longer (depends on size of item) at the top.
Insert dowels into the holes and glue. Stain, finish and set 'item' on the letter as it lays flat on the table.

As clear as I can make it in words!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »
Try cutting two pieces of 1/4" plywood into a square "J" shape. (stack cut them) and hinge the backs of the J so they will fold flat together or open up to almost any angle up to 180 degrees. (where they would fall over) You can make them any size you might want to. Say 8" tall and 3" or 4" across the bottom and maybe 3/4" width. You can spend money on hinges (even piano hinge) or use duct tape for the hinge area and make sure there is room between the two pieces to fold to any angle. Stand the "J"s up and put your framed work on the bottom and lean it back to the vertical leg.
Just like me....cheap and quick...I don't call myself Rapid Roger for nothing!!!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:59:17 pm »
Here is a tracing of a plate stand my wife uses for her trophy plates. I tried to post this before and had trouble since it was oversize, I hope it comes through this time. Tape along the V created when the 2 legs are placed together would form an invisible hinge
I hope you find this helpful, it can be modified to suit your taste, and size requirements.
After viewing it online I see the text in the drawing is hard to read, It is indicating the dashed line to bevel to, I wouldn't bevel more than 45 degrees as it would make it prone to tipping over. 2 - 45's make a 90.
Gabby

Drat knew I missed something, Cut TWO of those L shaped pieces. Elementary my dear Watson. LOL
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:32:54 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

ArtCrafters

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:07:03 pm »
I have the book "Wildlife Collector Plates" by Rick & Karen Longabaugh. Berry Basket Collection.  On page 123 is a pattern for two plate stands.  Due to copyright, I will not scan the page for submission.  Check it out.

Denny in TN

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »
Denny I also have that book and find that stand the hardest thing to put together, (with out breaking the two smaller pieces.)

Gabby has the idea

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:28:19 pm »
I have that same pattern from the Berry Basket and have cut several. I didn't have any trouble putting them together. The key is to cut the slots just a tad larger than the thickness of the wood.
You might be able to download it from The Berry Basket site.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:29:57 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

marmoh

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:55:38 pm »
Since I like things simple I did the attached stand.  It is with 1/2" BB cut 4.5" x 7".  The dowel is 5/16" and 8" tall in the back and 1" tall in the front.  No problem with the balance as I shoved it around a bit to see if it would fall.  I'm satisfied so guess that's all that counts.  As you can see it can be used for portrait or landscape pieces.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
That's IT ! ! !

I was just going to 'fancy' it up a bit - but that is the principle!

Thanks!!!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:50 pm »
The one with the dowels is a great idea! Simple, but looks nice.
Thanks for sharing.
Katie

Bill P

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »
I went to the Dollar Store and bought a bunch that look like the one Gabby posted.

Bill

nwtaurus

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:00 pm »
I thank all of you for the ideas, I am sure I will try them all, depending on the project. It has given me many ideas. I will be happy to share my results..

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »
Here is a picture frame I made a few years ago. Very simple, Two dowles at the bottom!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:48 pm »
That makes a quick and easy 'display stand' also...

Great Idea!

~~~GB~~~

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »
Can they be disassembled for storage or transport. Marion's stand looks like it could go together with just a friction fit. Pretty simple design. No need to MONKEY AROUND!        LMAO
Couldn't help myself.  ;D
Hangs head in shame. Snicker
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi