Author Topic: holding small 3-d pieces  (Read 3324 times)

Bill P

holding small 3-d pieces
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:07:33 pm »
I'm working on my first chess set, and use a 3" version of the clamp pictured here to hold the pieces.  It gives me a more secure grip, and the handles help me make those short-radius turns.  Just don't over-tighten and pinch the blade.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: holding small 3-d pieces
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »
Good tip Bill!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 02:03:02 am »
I'm working on my first chess set, and use a 3" version of the clamp pictured here to hold the pieces.  It gives me a more secure grip, and the handles help me make those short-radius turns.  Just don't over-tighten and pinch the blade.

Bill

Just thought I'd remind everyone, Steve gives directions on how to make your own. Much cheaper than buying. A couple blocks of wood of your choice a couple pieces of all thread some wing nuts and washers, and a couple of locking nuts, are all that's needed. I'm not sure exactly where he showed it, maybe someone else can point us in the right direction.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:00:37 am »
Hey Gabby, If I have the clamp available, I'm going to use it rather than take the time to make one. For me, Time is more valuable than saving a couple of dollars!
Dan In Southern California

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:14:48 pm »
I think I remember seeing that too, Gabby.  Was it more like a jig for little pieces, or a homemade clamp?  The small 4" clamps at Harbor Freight are $3.99, so I went that route, but I'm tempted to make a jig for the larger pieces (kings and queens).  Might as well, since it looks like I'm going to be doing more than one set.  :D

Bill

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »
I think I remember seeing that too, Gabby.  Was it more like a jig for little pieces, or a homemade clamp?  The small 4" clamps at Harbor Freight are $3.99, so I went that route, but I'm tempted to make a jig for the larger pieces (kings and queens).  Might as well, since it looks like I'm going to be doing more than one set.  :D

Bill

It looks very similar to the wooden clamps you are using, the ones Steve showed were nearly a foot long and the all thread bolts were too. When finished it looks very similar to the manufactured clamps. The major difference is you don't have the wooden handles to tighten the clamp. That's what the wing nuts do. The nice part is you could make them to suit yourself and the project you're cutting, such as your chess pieces.
Since the bars are parallel to each other and will lay flat on the table there will be no wobble or teetering, and no big handles sticking out in the way when you spin the wood around to change direction.
Gabby

PS: dgman. If you already have the clamps you need or buckets of money to buy them, you won't be interested in this. But if you are like a lot of us working on a fixed budget, or want something to do a specific job, this could be the solution to the problem. I can visualize making them small enough to hold something like a wallnut or large enough to hold a picture frame, you are only limited by the size of the allthread and the wooden jaws. Clear as mud I'll bet!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:42:56 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Dobbo

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:39:00 pm »
Thanks for the Info Gabby,These look very simple and cheap  to make
And I certainly see a use for them.
Bill

Bill P

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:40 pm »
I liked the two ideas and wanted to see which one worked better for me, so I decided to build the clamp/jig Gabby was talking about.  It cost about $8 and took about 1/2 an hour to make.

I loved it.  The control was a little better, and the consistency of the grip was great.

Thanks to Steve for the plans, and to Gabby for reminding us all about the idea.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:04:19 pm by Bill P »

cameronj

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:11:12 pm »
Thanks Gabby,
I am going to make a set too.
Jim

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 03:15:10 pm »
I made a smaller version so I could cut balls 1 1/2" and cubes into puzzles.  They work great for that.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

SMF

Teknoromi