Author Topic: Picture frames  (Read 2791 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Picture frames
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
Allot of you want to know how to make a picture frame for their portrait projects. The two most important factors are cutting perfect degree cuts and making each pair of sides exactly the same length. For this I use a miter sled for my table saw. I have a commercial sled called a Dubby. It will cut perfect 45's every time. It has a stop block to cut each pair of sides exactly the same length. If they are not exactly the same length, there will be a gap in a corner of the joint. and  the same thing will happen if you don't have perfect 45"s.
I usually use 3/4" stock with a round over on the outside edge. I cut the rabbit deep enough to fit the portrait and the backer board. I don't reinforce the joints because I glue the frame to the portrait and the backer board. That way it all becomes one single unit.
Dan In Southern California

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
Re: Picture frames
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »
Dan, I love your posts especially the ones in which you share trade secrets. Your knowledge of woodworking is very impressive and interesting.

Louis
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ups34

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:51 am »
Dan
You  are right about the Dubby. Perfect every time. I have had one for about 18 years now. It is also a safe way to cut.

zosmatech

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:41:50 am »
humm sounds great,
now for us that don't know duddy or have any commercial equipment, here's how I do it.
put your pattern on the wood before you cut it to size.
now cut an inch and half around your pattern. so if your pattern is let's say 9x9 you will now have a 10 1/2 x 10 1/2 square. ( you get the point)
from here you have a choice:
if you have a bench sander you will need to turn your board over and draw the 1" and half square on the underside as your guide for sanding. sand all sides with an 80 grit so this only takes you minutes. I leave a little on the edges so the are not sharp and your corners will look nicer.
with that done, cut your patter as you would, when finished now cut out your frame with the square lines you made on the front, your frame will come out perfect. separate it from the cut piece.
so you now have a perfect frame in your hand, you can take it back to the saw if you want and cut threw the corners to cut it in four pieces if you want it to look like it was made from four pieces like a real frame, or just leave it in one piece.
finish it the way you want.
I found hard construction paper works best for the backing, I glue it to the back with gorilla wood glue, after I give the frame one last good hand sanding with a finer grit. then I spray my frame and backing inside and out with krylon acrylic paint. I found felt to just be a dust collector and more expensive and a pain to put on. finish your pattern piece with what ever finish you are going to use, let both dry, put your piece back in the frame with gorilla glue on the underside and edges, spray completed with of few coats of clear polyurethane.

your other options are:
 no sander, no problem just find a video about cutting angles with your scroll saw and angle the edges with the saw first, but now you wont have the square on the underside, so make sure you cut the angle on the outside of the line, because you will need the inside of the line to cut out the frame.

THE BEST WAY IS:
 just use a router on the edges to shape your edges first!! but still have that boarder line from your your pattern to cut it out after wards..
for a real sweat perfect frame.
that simple. I'll be happy to answer any questions and you can go to my face book page to see finished pieces, just mention Steve because I don't just let any one be my friend..  my face book is peterpaulding 

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58:14 am »
@zosmatech
   Your technique sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following you on what you're sanding/cutting for the frame part.  If you could post some pictures of your technique it would be a great help to someone like me who can't follow basic instructions!   :)

zosmatech

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:13:53 am »
yes, i'm sorry it is hard to explain, but so simple. I really need to make a video of it.  you have a piece of wood lets forget the inch and a half.
you have a square pattern that is 10 inches. you put it on the board and cut an extra inch around that pattern so your board is now a 10 inch square. you are just going to sand the sides, top and bottom to a 45 deg. angle, so now your piece of wood looks like a frame with a pattern in it. cut out out your pattern, then cut out the inside 10 inch square line., so the one inch frame now pops out.
I hope this helps.. it is really easy, but I understand, I am only doing this 2 years now, so I know how it can all get so confusing, because there is so much to learn... thank god for Steve's videos. you can learn so much by watching them.
he covers just about everything you'll ever need to know. I'm bad with videos, maybe he will see this and make one  ,,,, hint

zosmatech

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:18:48 am »
correction.. should have checked that.. the board would be 11 inches and the pattern 10. so you are just giving your self a one inch boarder.. that's it.. you are just making a boarder around your pattern, and I make a boarder of an inch and a half.. sorry.. still working on coffee.. anyway.. every one have a good day, take it lite and try not to make such a big project out of everything!

Mainewoods

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:32:27 am »
Okay, now I'm gettin' what your talkin' about!  You're simply adding on to the overall dimensions of the pattern.  Once you've sanded and cut your pattern, you could just leave it attached if you wanted.  I might try that.  Thanks!!

Garp

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »
I found this the other day & thought it might be useful? as I have'nt got much room on my Barge and have no space for a mitre / table saw but doing frames this way, for me is easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM-3BjC4quw

Cheer's

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »
Hey, I like that idea! I just might have to try that some time. I wouldn't use super glue though.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi