Author Topic: Beginner Lesson learnerd  (Read 1850 times)

SonOfMartin

Beginner Lesson learnerd
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
I'm an absolute beginner to the scroll saw.  I have a Craiglist special Ryobi and was given two books for Christmas.

I read about sanding / polishing the table surface, which of course I ignored.

I tried lesson #1 of the Scroll Saw Workbook twice and had a miserable time because the wood kept 'hanging up' as I tried to turn it.  I made sure my left index finger was in the correct position, held my tongue over to the correct side, but the wood kept getting 'stuck'.

So I grabbed another of my Christmas gifts - a Rockwell Sonicrafter and put on the sanding pads and went to the table.

After about 20 minutes or so of running the grits and polishing with some old car paste wax, the table was as smooth as .....

Grabbed another copy of lesson #1 and the wood glides and no longer hangs up!

So, I confirmed that I still don't believe what I read from multiple sources and also confirmed that I think my lathe is going to get rusty as I play with my scroll saw!  This is fun!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:28:40 am by SonOfMartin »

Bill P

Re: Beginner Lesson learnerd
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:20:02 am »
Welcome to the hobby, Son of Martin.  It sounds to me like you've been bit by the bug.

Bill

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:36 pm »
Sometimes it takes working things out on your own to learn!
Make sure the car wax you use does not contain silicone as it can interferer with some finishes. Silicone is always a no no in a woodworking shop.
Dan In Southern California

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:11:07 pm »
My scroll saw always sat idle unless I wanted to incorporate something into a furniture design. Now everything else sits idle unless I need it in a scroll saw project. There's still hope for your lathe if you get into scroll saw bowls or boxes  LOL

SonOfMartin

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:13:39 pm »
Dgman: thanks for the advice. I'll check the can to make sure.  Won't be hard to get off if it does.

I have a question:  The book suggest 3/4" pine, but I have tons of 1/2" pine...does it make a difference?

Bill P

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:04 pm »
If you're talking about the practice lessons, I don't think it will make any difference.  You're still going to get the feel of how to control the blade, feed speed, etc.

Have fun!

Bill

Ridge Runner

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:06:02 pm »
I am fairly new to scroll sawing myself and I found that you must break a few eggs to make an omelette. I am also the owner of a 5 gallon bucket full of mistakes, but I have managed (besides myself) to saw out several nice looking projects. Best of luck.

Ridge Runner

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:21 pm »
welcome, this is definitely fun!

regards
Torsten

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:28:02 pm »
If you don't make 'misteaks' you ain't learnin'!

Mineral Spirits will generally clean off the wax and you can re-apply a non-silicone base was like Johnson's Paste Wax.

Welcome to the world of 'designer firewood'!
AND 1/2" pine will work...just keep trying !

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:38:52 pm »
As bill and GrayBeard have stated, 1/2" pine will be fine. 3/4" is suggested because it is more available than 1/2".
Dan In Southern California

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:35 pm »
dont worry about not following directions. most men will only follow directions when all else have failed.

Becky

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 10:50:09 pm »
I still remember my joy on the day I first waxed my table.  ;D

Chachi

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 10:08:46 am »
Son of Martin when I fist got started I used the Pine (1/2") pickets from a big box store they were real cheap I belive it was $1.25for one that was 6'x5"x1/2" it was tuff enough to not break if I went to far yet small enough (after I cut it down) to be able to scroll with so for starting out 1/2" pine is fine when you get the hang of it then you can use a small thickness of wood.

UHMNL

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:22 am »
I tried lesson #1 of the Scroll Saw Workbook twice and had a miserable time because the wood kept 'hanging up' as I tried to turn it.  I made sure my left index finger was in the correct position, held my tongue over to the correct side, but the wood kept getting 'stuck'.

You don't have enough speed and you are pushing to hard into the blade.  You need some pressure to hold the wood down.

FD Mike

Muzzlemike

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:27:14 pm »
I am also the owner of a 5 gallon bucket full of mistakes, but I have managed (besides myself) to saw out several nice looking projects.

Ridge Runner

It is just wood . If nothing else You can find some one that can use them in their wood burner to keep worm .

We all need to learn some time and it is still fun .

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi