Author Topic: Foggy Glasses  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
Foggy Glasses
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:29 pm »
Hey Guys, question. I work in a fairly cold garage in the winter. With my glasses on and a mask my glasses get foggy and I have to keep drying them.Any ideas how I can prevent this or at least slow it down?Very annoying.The mask I use says its supposed to prevent this,but guess what.Any help would be great.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: Foggy Glasses
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:41 pm »
When you find out let me know
Jimbo

Offline Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:05:39 pm »
Guess I'm not alone.I even went to a diving store and found drops they put inside the scuba masks to clear it.It worked alittle bit, but I'm going to go there again and see if they have something better.

Terry Jackson

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:22:50 pm »
I use a 3-M respirator, no issue with the glasses fogging, just dust.  Tried the cheaper masks and such ad the glasses fogged.  Believe they are about $35, popular with painters.  The filters are replaceable.

Terry

kp91

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:34 am »
I have a similar problem in the summer with humidity, especially when using the router/lathe.  I ended up with a Triton powered air respirator with a helmet mounted  faceshield.  A little too much for with the scrollsaw, however

There are occassionally auctions on ebay for the dentist type powered air respirators, that don't provide any real face protection.  They might be a solution if nothing else works for you.

The moving air on the front of the mask does wonders.

The only other masks I had decent luck with are the kimberly clark 'duckbill' masks.  They seem to fit my face better.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:41 am »
When in the bathroom ,after i have got a shower, the mirror is foggy, I take shaving foam and clean the mirror. Then i have got for a long time a clear mirror. Maby it works with your glasses.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:28 am »
I have the MSA safety works respirator absolutely no fog up w/glasses in summer heat plus I can breathe again
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:08:38 am »
you can get anti-fog spray and anti-fog wipes i've used the wipes with pretty good results.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:36 pm »
Has anyone tried Rain-X?   Yea, the stuff you put on the windshield of your car to keep the water off and the windshield from fogging up.
I have used it on plexiglass, regular glass and yes even on my eye glasses with great results. I keeps my eye glasses from fogging up when I come inside from an cold winters day anyway.
I buy it at the auto parts store and a bottle lasts a llooonnnggg time. I think that is basicly a liquid wax but, it works well for most of the stuff I have used it on.
Now that I think of it, I think I will try it on my saw table too!!!! It is SLICK!!

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 01:20:44 pm »
Clever idea, Rog.  Will have to give it a try.

Becky

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:37:01 pm »
The Dust Bee Gone mask is guaranteed not to fog your glasses.  It works for me.  A little pricey but then it is awfully nice to be able to see.

http://www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:29:24 am »
Got one of those Becky and they have to be pulled rite up and it makes them uncomfortable thwy cost $75 in NZ and I find that it does not do the job without discomfort
Jimbo

juvy

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 05:23:20 pm »
I use the dust-be-gone mask too.... religiously. It's the only one I found is so comfortable I forget I wear it sometimes.
Have to admit tho.... I had to learn how to put it on correctly.... if you don't they yes... even this one will fog your glasses. Just a matter of getting the nose wire adjusted right and making sure the masks sits tight on your cheeks. I can now just fasten the neck piece, slide the top ones over and tighten.. no more problems.
Only time I might have to readjust is after washing it.

Make sure tho that you close the velcro before washing and also store it with the velcro closed... first mask I had I didn't do that and it pulled all the little threads.... let me tell you.... they ITCH like mad on your nose! lol
Nice thing is..... when it's hot you can wear it wet!!!!!

Juvy

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:01 pm »
Mine has no nose wire Juvy, perhaps that is why, I will take to the person I bought from and see what they have to say
Jimbo

Becky

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:02 pm »
I wonder if you got the same thing (though the price is certainly high enough to be the same).  I have to fiddle with mine sometimes to get the right fit but it works really well once I do.  If yours doesn't have the wire, something isn't right.  That's what keeps it snug enough to prevent fogging (or so I assume).

SMF

Teknoromi