Author Topic: Recommendation: Coin Cutters in Lisbon, Portugal  (Read 900 times)

Berlin

Recommendation: Coin Cutters in Lisbon, Portugal
« on: September 12, 2010, 06:29:54 am »
I showed your coin cutting video to a small group of artisans here in Lisbon, Portugal who ply their hand cut coin business on a busy pedestrian street in the city center.  Before seeing the video i asked them to bring their handkerchiefs.  ??Why bring hankies??? they asked.  I said ?? After you see this video you will only cry! :'(??

Well, the crying almost happened, but out of joy :), as the video plainly demonstrates how quickly a coin can be finished.  The group is selling out their hand cut production daily. It takes them 20- 45minutes to complete a coin by hand.  They will benefit by having a robust stock of the 40 or so coins that are top sellers, while continuing to do custom work by hand, curb side.

Now, I have been asked by the group to determine the best scroll saw for their project.  I see in the video a Dewalt, but have also seen good reviews for the Hegner Multicut SE (quick change over as coins require several pilot holes depending on complexity).  I wrote the Hegner people in the Black Forest in my poor German, and they recommended the Multicut SE. 

Would the pros in here have any preference?  Also, does anyone use a scroll saw to cut coins for sale?  We would appreciate any advice and we will be reporting our progress here!  Obrigado! ;) (thanks in Portuguese), Shawn

p.s. I have attached a photo of a coin (google search) that represents the typical complexity of the coins the group produces. 

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Recommendation: Coin Cutters in Lisbon, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:03:17 am »
Hi Berlin, good to hear the video helped. I would recommend the Hegner over the DeWalt for production cutting. The Hegner is a high quality and very smooth running saw. I like the DeWalt but the Hegner is in another class. Another problem is that I don't think the DeWalt is available in Portugal. I am pretty sure that the Hegner is available all over Europe. You are going to pay a little more for the Hegner but in this case the price will be worth the investment.

SMF

Teknoromi