Author Topic: New Forum Area  (Read 1354 times)

ChaplainRon

New Forum Area
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:55:57 pm »
Steve,

Since I am new at working with a scroll saw there is so much for me to learn. Without your video tutorials and all the other tutorials I have found here and around the web I would never have learned what I have.

Here is my idea. Set up a new area on this forum where all the links for tutorials can be cataloged and organized. Call it Tutorials or something like that.

Each new topic can be a different kind of tutorial like scroll saw setup, blade tensioning, fixing pattern to wood, dust collection, pattern making, and so many others.

Then when someone runs across these things they can be posted here to make it easer for guys like me to find and learn.

Thanks,

Ron

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: New Forum Area
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:31:02 pm »
Hey Ron, The trouble with that is all the newbies will go to the tutorials and not ask questions here, and all us old farts will be sitting around twiddling our thumbs! ::) ::)
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:37:08 pm »
Don't take all the fun away. !!!!!!!!!!!  ::)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:42:51 am »
"CrabbyScroller" and I take umbrage with that "Ol' Farts" tag!

However it is nice to have things asked and answered repeatedly 'cause the memory bank sometimes bogs down and EVERYONE needs a reminder now and then.

I honestly do not think there has been a single item brought up in a question that has not made me read what the replies are just to double check my own methods and maybe add my way of doing something just to keep the brain waves running in the right direction.

I DO think there should be separate section for COMPUTER RELATED  questions to keep them in one place for reference.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:26:22 am »
Hey guys, I would be happy to add any new forums you want. The only problem I see with that is getting so many that it becomes confusing to new members. That said there has not been a lot of growth in the forum membership and posts are down a bit. All this is coming from the crappy performance of the forum. I'm feeling really disappointed that I have not been able to make it better. It is getting worse. I still don't have absolute proof of the causes of the slow down. I am actually out looking at some hosted forum solutions. The big problem there is starting over.

My main concern now is that I am sending new readers here to the forum when I know it's not working right. That gives my blog a black eye. Not the end of the world but it does bother me. I have even considered taking the link off the blog to the forum and just keeping it open to current users. The problem there is no new blood can make the forum very stale quickly.

I just can't make up my mind what to do with the forum. I have ruled out advertising or any pay setup. Think how much grief I would be in for if people were paying and the service went to crap. No thanks. I'm still not convinced a dedicated server is the answer anyway so I'm not convinced the extra expense is worth it.

Right now I have just put the whole thing on the back burner hoping for a solution to pop up.

Sorry, lost my train of thought there. If you guys want new areas we can add them.   

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:32:51 am »
Hey Steve don't beat yourself up about the forum speed. I think it is a difficult thing to pin point as sometimes it goes fast  with quite a few people aboard and then it is slow even when there is nobody else around. I for one will keep coming, and who knows as you say a solution might pop up untill then we will just be patient and enjoy the slowed down pace of life.
Have a nice day.
David
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:25:21 pm by Dawie »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:29:07 am »
Steve, I understand your concern but don't worry to much. Most of us are here for the long haul. A slow forum is better than no forum. You will figure it out.
 :)  :)  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »
Would a new forum  slow the sight down more?
Jimbo

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 03:17:36 am »
maybe a new forum is less slow, but if you don't no why this one is getting slow, it's just a matter of time to probably have the same problem again.
So I think patience is the best.
Steve will figure it out.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

jim stiek

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:32 pm »
being someone that looks at several forums on a daily basis, all forum traffic seems to be down a great deal more than this one, (summertime maybe) people on vacation and all the yard work I think it will pick up in the fall when we all get back to the shop more.This is one of the most active forums i've seen dedicated to scrolling.THANKS STEVE

SMF

Teknoromi