Author Topic: Hola from texas  (Read 831 times)

DecafMommy

Hola from texas
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:29:39 pm »
Hello, I am rather new to scrolling, I just started a few weeks ago, so I am about as new to the hobby as it gets. However, I have been around woodworking my whole life. My father taught me and my sibling how to use basics tools and "measure twice, cut once" and helped us do small carpentry projects as kids. Now retired, he and my mother do 1870's fort reenacting as  Carpenter and wife. I wanted him to make my son (19 months) a wooden farm set like the Noah's Ark set he made for my mom. So I picked up a copy of Scroll Saw magazine a few months back  that had such a pattern. What I wasn't expecting was just how AWESOME the other patterns would be! So I mentioned to my husband that I wouldn't mind trying it, if, you know, we ever had the money/time to get a scroll saw. He thought for a moment and said "I think I have one at my mom's place...." And sure enough, he already had one! (I swear, between my husband and his brother, they have nearly every type of tool made!) It's just an entry-level Ryobi from Sears, but it works fine for what I am doing. My first project is to make a seascape mural for my son's room using cut-out sealife. Sorry, I don't know all the terms yet! So far, I feel more at ease using a scroll saw than I ever was using knitting needles!

Well, there is the long version of a short story, but I am very glad to be part of this community and look forward to sharing of ideas!

cherie

Re: Hola from texas
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  There are many new people and many older scrollers that can give you great advise if you have any problems with your saw, a pattern...ect.  I am myself still considered new to scrolling since I have only been doing it for 6 years.   And I really do not have much time since I am a full time college student.  Yep at 40 something went back to school.  It has been an experience.  Nice to meet you and cannot wait to hear more from ya.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »
Glad you found the forum over 700 members strong. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

mark1945

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:46:24 am »
Hi
 I'm glad to see other Texans on here too.I am on several wood working forums but so far I think there is way more Texans on this one than all the rest.I am just about out of my cannons need to get busy and make a few more,they usually sell pretty good.We have been trying to talk ourselves into buying a laser engraver to add to our shop,but they are soooooo expensive.we are going to a Market Days this Sat in Rockport, thats usually the only one we go to.Once a month is enough for now till we get better set up.

SMF

Teknoromi