Author Topic: Dare to ask and you might be suprised at the answer  (Read 1517 times)

Dawie

Dare to ask and you might be suprised at the answer
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »
Last week I decided to send an e-mail to small woodworkers workshops in my area, about a radius of 15-20km. I asked them what they did with their scrap wood and if I might be able to get it off them for free or a reasonable price. I have had 4 super reactions sofar and all said I could come around and pick up what they have. One even asked up to what size and what type of woods I am after so I told him and he promised to keep it for mee and even offred to plane it dowm or saw it to size. Another said he still has a lot of wood stored up and should come around and check if there was anything I can use and he will give it to me, he to offered to recut and plane if needed. I did not want to do this at first but then thought if I don't ask I will never know and as hardwood is hard to come by here I just did it.
Today a friend told me that there is a very little woodworkshop that handcrafts funiture only about 4 blocks from where I live, I never knew so I am going to go there next week and ask them about scrap wood. There are 2 other shops close by about 3-5km away that I want to approach personally and see what they say.
Will keep you posted and once I get some wood take some pics.
David

UHMNL

Re: Dare to ask and you might be suprised at the answer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:40:46 pm »
Hi David,
You can also go to where they are building new houses. They throw away a lot. We call that dumpster diving.
I always asked first and never was turned down.
Het aller beste.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »
Thats good news for you David! As for me, every month at the woodworking club meeting, one of the members brings a truck full of wood scraps for any member to take. Usually there will be some Mahogany, walnut, oak and alder. It comes from another members shop which is a professional woodworking shop. Arlen is the member who brings the wood, so we call it Arlen wood. About 75% of the projects I show off in the brag forum is made from Arlen wood!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:42:38 pm »
That just goes to show.........Always ask, the worst thing that can happen is they will say no!!!
Too many people 'wonder' but, never think to ask, about alot of things.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:57:33 pm »
I used to get a lot of end pieces from a guy who made flag cases.  He has since closed but I got a pretty good haul of purple heart, cherry, oak and walnut.

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45:42 pm »
Mike my next step is to go around some contractors here like MOEDT has his dumpsite close by in Sappemeer. I liked to read where you guys get your wood from.
David

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 08:21:05 am »
I just picked up some red oak at a hardwood flooring manufacturing plant.  The guy estimated my pile at 10 board ft though I think there was more and said how about $5.
He had some white oak but I don't like cutting that.

Rightarm

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
    Great find David. Also, if you come across any shipping pallets, their usually made of oak or ash. Dave 8)

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:05 am »
Thanks Rightarm, I live in a shipping area, lots of shipyards where they actually buildt ships and ship parts, but there is also a container habour close by and a habour for yachts, will go there and see what they have on offer.
David.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:49:34 am »
My son-in-laws father works for the rail road and see's pallets all the time. He keeps his eye out for oak or other premium wood types. He just brought me three solid oak pallets yesterday in excellent shape.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi